Wyoming Mule Deer

RollinCams

Jan 21, 2014
Hey all new to this forum, hoping for some help. I'm trying to plan a Mule Deer for myself and my father for next fall in Wyoming. Wondering if anyone can help me out with a good region/unit that holds a good population of Mule Deer with high success rates as well as a good range of public land, since we will be doing this on our own. Thanks!

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
The honest truth is regions with good deer population, high success rate and lots of public lands take a lot of points to have good odds for the tag. Such as Region G you will have a 7% chance in the random draw. Last fall in Region R, I saw a ton of deer, but they were does and fawns. You would have a 55% chance to draw without any points. Region W has a ton of public land, deer numbers are low but you will have a 73% chance to draw. I have seen some real nice bucks come out of region W, it's just hard to find them. Hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2013
central Kentucky
Every non resident wants a great first hunt with plenty of animals, easy access,DIY, and guaranteed tags. I may be mistaken but that scenario is unrealistic.

Consider your first trip to a statistically draw able unit a learning experience and build up a point or two.

Other option would be to hire an outfitter and shoot an animal off a private ranch. I'm guessing more money equals bigger animals and nicer accommodations.

Hope others will chime in if I'm off base but hunt quality for first time, inexperienced,
non residents is determined by
1. Points to draw higher demand unit
2. Ability to hire an outfitter
3. Some inside information that is not public or easily obtained
4. Hours an hours of research online and reading previous posts

Apply, build up points, buy a left over tag, go hunt and expect your 2nd 3rd and following trips to get better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Kentuckyhunter is right on. You can also look at the special draw and find a tag that you can draw with 0 points. I am going to fork over the 500+ dollars on the special draw so I can hunt the unit I have been waiting for.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I have to apologize right off the bat because after reading the OP I had to stop and laugh a little. I've hunted out in Wyoming for deer, elk, and/or antelope almost every year since 1992 and there is nowhere that you'll find what you're asking for with the mulies going downhill in most areas with no PPs. There are several Regions that have lots of public land that always have leftover tags and there's a reason---Lack of deer numbers to make a hunt like you want without a lot of foot leather out there or someone who has been out there for years and knows exactly where to go. The latter person will probably not tell you other than possibly a unit and most of the time that may well not be enough information to have a good hunt. My suggestion would be to draw an easy tag and hunt antelope the first year while buying a deer PP this summer and maybe even do that a couple times while taking several days on those antelope hunts to scout out and then pick where you want to put in for deer. If you'd rather go out this year to get your feet wet hunting deer in a Region where you can draw a tag with no problem and have plenty of public land to hunt on, get a Region Y tag. There's a ton of public land up in the Bighorns to the north and BLM land down in the south end toward Kaycee. Be prepared for lots people and to be disappointed if you don't fill the tag because that's what you're facing on a first time hunt out there for deer. You will see some fabulous country though if you hunt that Region, especially up in the BigHorns where there are also a lot of elk.

Last edited:

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
If you are willing to go with an outfitter I would look at region H. If you don't want to go with an outfitter I would look at regions F, R, and Y.