Wyoming mule deer hunts

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
What to do with max points is my dilemma....
hold wait....which sounds like that isn't gonna help shoot a 200" in the future....
burn em on a good hunt and have at it.... sounds like the only option....

of course I'm in no rush to mule deer hunt WY.... so perhaps when the time and moisture are right I'll burn em but I dunno??
or burn em sooner than later and start rebuilding points?
What units are you planning on saving for? Looks like only a couple of units are blue chips this year

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
no clue really....just have max points....and I think like many others don't know when where.....sooner than later vs... waiting for better deer hunting in WY?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Tough questions to answer without a crystal ball. I'll never reach max points for WY and you wont have max points again. I know you said something about a 200" deer but if it were me id pick an area for the experience versus a monster. Thats just me though.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Finding a 200 inch mule deer is a holy grail that very few will ever do. Even if you draw the best mule deer area in any state you need to prepare yourself to go home empty handed even after putting in for years for that once in a lifetime chance.

I have been lucky enough to of hunted some of the best mule deer country in Colorado and Utah. I hunted the Henry Mountains in Utah for years and I can honestly say that I have only seen a handful of 200 inch mule deer. And have only been able to get a shot at one of them.

Reactions: ScottR

plough

Dec 11, 2017
Unit 81 contains trophy mule deer, as good as they get, just not in large numbers. Too many hunters for my liking.
i applied 81 with 5 non res points special draw...been there twice before pref points...never saw any thing great but enjoyed my cousins grouse stew...last time hunting there this year, hes 83 and im 66, well be to old too hunt there together again...havent been there since the ryan burn, maybe this will be my year

Reactions: boiler and LCH