Wyoming mule deer draw strategy help requested.

plentycoupe

May 27, 2011
North Pole AK
Hey all,
I have been a member, or renewed member for a while but this is my first post. I am looking for some help on the best strategy to us my Wyoming preference points.

Of course after that I would be looking for some help on narrowing down an area so please feel free to PM me.

I will most likely be applying for a tag next year, if not the definetly in 2013. I am currently deployed so not sure about next years opportunity.

What I will have in July is 3 PP for next years draw. What I need is a little advice on how to best use these points to get me into an area where big bucks live. There are so many options that my brain starts smoking everytime I try to figure it out!!!! I have the Feb-Mar 2011 MRS section on Wyoming. I have been studying it.......but again I would love some advice.

Fish and game mentioned Greys River region( G ) to me and I see that I can draw this tag with 3 points. Is there a stradegy I should use here, or just get that tag??

What I am looking for is an opportunity at a good buck on a DIY hunt. I was looking at the guide route as I have never done that before. I always hunt DIY in Alaska so I figure I can do it for Muleys.
I would be going in with the intent of packing in for 7 to 10 days. I have the gear for the hunt. Good bino's and spotting scope. Very determined to hunt hard to increase my odds of success.

I am sure that finding information on a good mule deer location is as easy as asking a Dall sheep hunter to tell you where the sheep are! So any help in that direction would be much appreciated. Again PM any info. I have a ton of info on Alaska for the asking as well.

I do have family in Casper so maybe that is an area I should be looking??

Ok enough of the book here. Thanks for reading and if replying thanks a ton

Jason

plentycoupe

May 27, 2011
North Pole AK
Hello again!
I know these are coveted deer but come on all you experienced hunters. How about a little guidance, I can trade some Dall Sheep in Alaska info if you want!
Thanks for reading

Stig87

Apr 14, 2011
Wyoming
Plentycoupe--If you are looking to do a pack in hunt, you will most likely want to stay on the western side of the state. The Casper area has a lot more roads and does not require or allow in most cases to pack in very far from a road.

bbright

Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm hunting Region H this year. First time mule deer hunting in WY. Elk hunted unit 7 last year and saw some deer but way more elk. Remind me and I'd be happy to let you know about my experience. I'm like you (only older and probably slower) in that I do multi-day back-pack hunts to get away from pressure. My hard headedness helps me overcome the lack of skills.