Wyoming Mountain Goat Areas - Suggestions

memtb

?If? you were to win the Wyoming lottery for Mountain Goat......which area 1 or 3. The area qualifiers would be.....we will be on foot, and both are crowding the 70 year old mark. Will be doing day hunts from roads, two tracks, trails, etc. So....any recommendations! This would have been much easier, had we drawn 25 or 30 years ago.....when we started applying! ;) memtb

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Actually I've seen goats by the road. I commend you on continuing to apply, and think if given enough time you could probably still get it done!

Good luck if you draw, and consider hiring someone with horses to help you out!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Once in a lifetime, do all the research you can and get into good shape for the what if's. Like GDeep stated, it can happen next to the road, but usually doesn't.
Keep us posted on your progress.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
No input on a unit, but if you draw a once in a lifetime tag after years of buying points (or just being gut-shot lucky), you may want to hire an outfitter. They will know where the goats are, and have what you will need to get to them and to get them out. If you insist on a DIY, and draw the tag, then put out a request on the forum, and I bet you will get some on the ground help. Going along on a goat, sheep, or moose hunt is as close as most of us will ever get. My only chance would be on a lotto draw, odds .000001?? Goats and sheep are likely to be in a wilderness area, and if a NR in Wyoming you would need to hire an outfitter or have a "resident guide" to access them. Good luck

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Why wyoming? Complete random draw for goats and plain impossible odds aside for being luckier than hell.. you'd have a much better chance drawing in idaho or probably other states as well. . That being said, the goats south of jackson are on the high peaks come hunting season, roughly 3-4,000ft above any road. My friend who guides goats every year down there always packs in with horses, not day hunt. The areas up by cody might be more what you are hoping for in terms of being able to drive a 4 wheeler closer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

memtb

Why wyoming? Complete random draw for goats and plain impossible odds aside for being luckier than hell.. you'd have a much better chance drawing in idaho or probably other states as well. . That being said, the goats south of jackson are on the high peaks come hunting season, roughly 3-4,000ft above any road. My friend who guides goats every year down there always packs in with horses, not day hunt. The areas up by cody might be more what you are hoping for in terms of being able to drive a 4 wheeler closer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We live in Wyoming and can?t afford an out of state hunt. If we get ?very? lucky and do draw, we were just hoping to get some tips from someone that has hunted either of those areas...
and has first-hand knowledge of the access! We?re researching through other sources.....just thought we?d ask here as well! We’re only considering areas 1 or 3 (near Cody) for the reasons you mentioned. memtb

Last edited:

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I've been it both areas. I would highly recommend area 1. Very easy access and plenty goats.

I had an area 1 tag in 2015. Took one with my bow.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
There are 2 new areas this year. Area 2 was split, with the northern part as area 4. Also, an area 5 was made which covers south of Cody and the southeastern corner from Yellowstone. Not sure if that helps your choice any, but hopefully helps the odds a little.

Scottb

Nov 15, 2014
Totally agree that Area 1 would be better in your case. I've hunted area 3 twice in the last 3 years and it is much rougher country to access the goats than 1

SouthernWyo

Mar 11, 2011
Actually, area 4 is a totally new unit, as is area 5. Both offer Type A tags with carry some unique qualifiers from units 1-3. Both are offered and designed to limit the spread of mountain goats from the "traditional" areas into areas where bighorn sheep are priority and limit competition between the species. Read the qualifiers on the WGFD hunt planner, spending the non-resident fee on either unit could be a mistake.