Wyoming Leftover Tags - 2018

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm hoping to gain some insight from the eastmans team. My son and I have 10 PP for elk and deer and it looks like we're going to putting in for another point this year because my son (recent college grad) doesn't have vacation time built up to go. In the mean time, I don't mind hunting alone, and am thinking about trying the Wyoming leftover license option this year while I wait. I'm very flexible on units, elk or deer, archery or rifle - that sort of thing. I love it all - but it's got to be public land DIY. If any of you have some experience with the left over licenses and are willing to share some insight, please PM me. It would be very much appreciated - and I'm only looking for one tag. Thank you!

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
Thanks for the post Granby guy. I spoke with someone at Fish and Game a few weeks ago and must have misunderstood. I thought she told me I burn my points on 2nd choice? Maybe I'm getting Wyoming and Arizona confused?

If you don't burn points using the second choice option, I assume a second choice license would need to be a hunt that does not require points?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Apply for a cow tag in an area you might draw your bull license in. They are cheaper and get you in the field hunting and learning an area.
2nd choice tags will be hard to come by unless you go the antlerless option.

Millsworks

Nov 23, 2017
Augusta, West Virginia
I think wy-tex has given great advice here.
A cow or maybe a regional deer tag that hunts the same area you want to draw an elk tag in is a good way to get a jump on the learning curve of an area. Would be good to try to hunt during the same time a bull elk hunt would take place if you can.
Good way to maybe see how pressure will push the game around too.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Be aware that the non-res type 6 and type 7 cow tags in WY go through a random draw (there may be some landowner cow tags that can be gotten differently-but I'm not certain) and not all the units are a slam-dunk 100% draw nor necessarily have leftovers if all the tags draw out in the 1st choice. You won't lose points on these draws for cow type 6 or 7 tags.

The unit I picked for last year's type 6 tag had draw odds of 50-50 in 2016. Last year it was 25%. I still drew a tag, but was suprised to see how lucky I was, because I got bad, bad luck..."I'm always scratching on the [emoji463]" so the song goes. [emoji16]

I know WY also has type 4 tags as well, but I think they are full price. They might be more readily available in interesting units.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Be aware that the non-res type 6 and type 7 cow tags in WY go through a random draw (there may be some landowner cow tags that can be gotten differently-but I'm not certain) and not all the units are a slam-dunk 100% draw nor necessarily have leftovers if all the tags draw out in the 1st choice. You won't lose points on these draws for cow type 6 or 7 tags.

The unit I picked for last year's type 6 tag had draw odds of 50-50 in 2016. Last year it was 25%. I still drew a tag, but was suprised to see how lucky I was, because I got bad, bad luck..."I'm always scratching on the [emoji463]" so the song goes. [emoji16]

I know WY also has type 4 tags as well, but I think they are full price. They might be more readily available in interesting units.

Regards,

That is correct on type 4.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Beware those type 4 full price cow tags will use up your points if you put them as 1st choice. I know you probably understand that but just want to make sure.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Not trying to hijack the thread, but based on last years odds, it appears to be very low odds of acquiring a type 6 tag?
I'm looking at a few areas I'd like to hunt and learn, but the odds are <50% and <25% in many. Am I missing something? I've been archery elk 2x and would love to use a rifle to get something... anything on the ground. Going back to the previous areas for rifle are probably not an option.
I can pm more specific information.
Thanks guys.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
No landowner tags in Wyoming can be transferred.
50/50 odds are not too bad, most residents would take those odds to draw cow tags. No guarantees in life.
Cow tags usually have a longer season than type 4 tags but not always.
A cow tag gets you out here, pretty laid back hunt with possibly of fishing and bird hunting also. Maybe get some antelope doe tags and have a mixed bag hunt.
Lots of ways to get a tag without using those points.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
50/50 odds are not too bad, most residents would take those odds to draw cow tags. No guarantees in life.
A cow tag gets you out here, pretty laid back hunt with possibly of fishing and bird hunting also. Maybe get some antelope doe tags and have a mixed bag hunt.
Wy-tex,

Well put. That was my take as well.

Regards,

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Not looking for landowner tags.
I'm not complaining about odds, but wow, tough to even draw a non-antlered animal anymore...
For us non-residents, many of us who are not retired, don't have enough time to bird hunt and fish. We're on limited time (week vacation from work- usually 5 days to hunt and the weekend before and after for travel) with a tag to fill.
WyTex- Other than putting in the draw for less than 25% odds in most areas, what options are there for DIY hunter?
Thanks guys!

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
The demand reports for reduced priced licenses are not an accurate method of determining odds because of the way those draws are done. Actual odds are worse.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
The demand reports for reduced priced licenses are not an accurate method of determining odds because of the way those draws are done. Actual odds are worse.
"Whatcha talkin'about Willis??" [emoji38]

You mean its not just dividing the # of 1st choice applications by the number of tags drawn? (for the random type 6 draw)

Like say, there's 50 nonres type 6 tags in some unit and 200 guys apply for it as their 1st choice, doesn't that work out to 25% odds for those 200 1st choice applicants ( 50 drew tags, 150 don't draw )? It would be zero for 2nd choice applicants since the tags would draw out in the 1st choice round of the draw-unless I'm missing something?

Regards,

Last edited:

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
"Whatcha talkin'about Willis??" [emoji38]

You mean its not just dividing the # of 1st choice applications by the number of tags drawn? (for the random type 6 draw)

Like say, there's 50 nonres type 6 tags in some unit and 200 guys apply for it as their 1st choice, doesn't that work out to 25% odds for those 200 1st choice applicants ( 50 drew tags, 150 don't draw )? It would be zero for 2nd choice applicants since the tags would draw out in the 1st choice round of the draw-unless I'm missing something?

Regards,

Party apps count as 1 application, but remove multiple tags from the pool.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Sure. I get that. The way I see it, you have to try, right? If I don't apply, I know I won't draw. [emoji6]

Regards,

Of course, and some units have decent access with better odds. Wait until the tag quotas come out.. Look for a unit with decent access and already decent draw odds that's getting a bump in tag #s.