Wyoming Land Locked Bill

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, a quick glance/skim of that page looked like something good for public land/ DIY hunters maybe in the works...

But, there's always 2 sides; some outfitters and landowners probably not so happy about all that. I'll root for the good guys in the good fight. [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
When are they voting on this? I read the article but didn't see if this could happen anytime soon or if this is just a pipe dream.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
It says "This bill will study possible opportunities..........." Someone will have to fund that study and it will be a tough road to see any positive results but you have to start somewhere.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Pipe dreams some said. Private property rights will not be infringed on would be my guess. The public land is land locked which means you would have to take away land rights and I do not see that happening. Corner hopping would be my only thought might change.

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
Pipe dreams some said. Private property rights will not be infringed on would be my guess. The public land is land locked which means you would have to take away land rights and I do not see that happening. Corner hopping would be my only thought might change.
Corner hopping/crossing should be legal...ridiculous that it isn't.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I'm not the one that would test the system, so I tend to follow the rules as much as possible. Key word below is "May"

Wyoming's position on Corner Crossing and the link to it below-

"Crossing or entering private lands without landowner?s permission may result in a violation of Wyoming?s game and fish or criminal trespass statutes. The game and fish trespass statute prohibits a person from entering private land to hunt or intend to hunt without permission. In Wyoming, some public lands adjoin by only the corners of the public land parcels touching. In 2004, the Wyoming Attorney General?s Office issued an opinion that ?corner crossing? from one parcel of public land to another in order to hunt that other public parcel, depending on the factual situation involved, may not violate the game and fish trespass statute, but may be a criminal trespass violation. The factual situation would include whether the person doing the ?corner crossing? was hunting or intended to hunt private land at the time the corner was crossed."

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Public-Access/Access-Summary

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Why is it always some dude from another State, that has never talked with the GF chief warden on the issue, that has to contradict the FACT that the Wyoming Game and Fish will not write tickets for corner crossing?

Funny stuff, there is no "may be" its flat not a hunting violation as there is no intent to trespass to hunt when crossing from one corner of public land to another corner of public land.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Relax Buzz- I'm just quoting what is written. I have talked to G&F, Biolgists and hunted Wyoming many times. I get it. It's just good to know the parameters of what you can and can't do.

I'm going to abide by the laws written- In my 50+ years of hunting, it works best for me.

Last edited:

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Why is it always some dude from another State, that has never talked with the GF chief warden on the issue, that has to contradict the FACT that the Wyoming Game and Fish will not write tickets for corner crossing?

Funny stuff, there is no "may be" its flat not a hunting violation as there is no intent to trespass to hunt when crossing from one corner of public land to another corner of public land.

Buzz, I totally understand what your saying but I think a lot of times it is the ranchers and their buddys (Warden or Sheriff), that can and most times will be a thorn a hunters side. We had an issue 2 years ago where a rancher thought we were trespassing when my cousin shot his deer. They sat up at the parking spot for easily 2 hours waiting for us to drag his buck out and then told us we were shooting onto private property. The rancher gave us a bunch of shit for non residents coming out there with crappy paper maps and not knowing where we were bla bla bla, so I quickly pulled my OnX and had them look at the tracking feature (I even offered to walk the rancher and the fat a$$ sheriff ) to the gut pile and prove that we were in the right. Long story short after they completely checked us over and were total dicks they left laughing like they were happy for wasting our time. I was really and still am pretty sour over this. I guess the point of my long rant is that even if you or I or whoever corner cross and don't think we will get a citation that does not mean that a rancher cant totally screw up your hunt just to be a jack wagon and it seems most times they drag along a big bellied cop to help him try and scare hunters out of the area. Just my 2 cents.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
Have to start somewhere. Kudos to those involved for drafting, filing and getting a vote on the bill.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
may result in a violation of Wyoming?s game and fish or criminal trespass statutes.
G&F and BLM discourage corner crossing because they can't forbid it. It's the law that counts, not comments in a brochure or on a website. Corner-crossing does not fit the definition of trespassing as defined in WY statutes.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
G&F and BLM discourage corner crossing because they can't forbid it. It's the law that counts, not comments in a brochure or on a website. Corner-crossing does not fit the definition of trespassing as defined in WY statutes.
Thank you and you are correct- that information in the link that I posted is right out of G&F. I just wanted to point that out. When I talked to them many years ago, your information is similar to what information was given to me. The issue lies more in the ambiguous wording used(may) and opens the door to potential issues, and due to this, the debate we are having. This has been discussed many a times before on forums as to why and your explanation explains it well.

I don't like ambiguous wording since I could be on the wrong end of the stick, per se'. So in those situations, I don't put myself in them. I don't buy into wording as well in Forums or written outside of the law or regulations if it's contradicting, since that may not be correct, and once again could lead to being incorrect. Lots of good information is shared by knowledgeable people and it's appreciated by many, so in that case it's well received.

It's a shame the bill died. It "may" have helped clear up some of this. (Had to throw that "may" in there):)

Good hunting-

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Buzz, I totally understand what your saying but I think a lot of times it is the ranchers and their buddys (Warden or Sheriff), that can and most times will be a thorn a hunters side. We had an issue 2 years ago where a rancher thought we were trespassing when my cousin shot his deer. They sat up at the parking spot for easily 2 hours waiting for us to drag his buck out and then told us we were shooting onto private property. The rancher gave us a bunch of shit for non residents coming out there with crappy paper maps and not knowing where we were bla bla bla, so I quickly pulled my OnX and had them look at the tracking feature (I even offered to walk the rancher and the fat a$$ sheriff ) to the gut pile and prove that we were in the right. Long story short after they completely checked us over and were total dicks they left laughing like they were happy for wasting our time. I was really and still am pretty sour over this. I guess the point of my long rant is that even if you or I or whoever corner cross and don't think we will get a citation that does not mean that a rancher cant totally screw up your hunt just to be a jack wagon and it seems most times they drag along a big bellied cop to help him try and scare hunters out of the area. Just my 2 cents.
While being muscled by the law I would?ve gotten all of their information. I can be a real PIA after the fact. (It?s often good to call and check on these folks once you?re back home to ensure they?ve made it home each and every night- after seasons over winter is long and boring so you often need something to do. [emoji23]). These are the folks that give other good law-enforcement a bad name and are the type who change professions after doing this one too many times....
It?s a shame because it often hurts young hunters just getting into the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk