Wyoming General Mule Deer

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Was able to get out for the opener last week in Wyoming. Hunting some public land on the Eastern side of the state I was fogged out Monday morning but managed to bump several bucks as I walked around for about 3 hours expecting the fog to lift at any minute. One of which I believe was a much larger buck. While I was taking a break eating lunch the fog lifted and I was able to get out for an evening hunt where I watched a large basin in the same area but only saw does. Tuesday morning I was back in the same area but had decided to focus my attention on the top of the hills where the bucks seemed to be feeding when I bumped them the day before. I was in position for the morning hunt and about an hour after the sun came up this 3x3 appeared across the drainage. After looking him over I was impressed enough with his mass to go ahead and take a shot. I found a rock to lay my pack on and was able to get really comfortable with the 6.5-.284. The 140 Berger broke through both shoulder blades and dropped him in his tracks. I never heard an impact and the other deer in the group were not spooked so I was not sure what happened but he was nowhere in sight. I went ahead and walked back out to the truck to move it to the correct drainage to make the walk out easier in case I was loaded heavy. Went to check and sure enough he was laying right where I thought. The pack out kicked my butt as I did not do enough to get in shape this fall but I managed to get him out in one 100+ pound load with many breaks along the way. Strangely the downhill part was the worst as it was so steep and loose getting down to the bottom where the cattle trails were. I am still waiting on my creme developer to whiten the skull up but I got it hung up and the meat processed this weekend.

IMG_0591 (1).jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0595.jpgIMG_0596 (1).jpgIMG_0597 (1).jpg