Wyoming General Elk Archery

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Hey guys. I am finalizing my plans with my dad for the fall. This is my first trip to Wyoming and I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with the units 83 and 68 wouldn't mind hearing my plan and giving me some honest feedback and oppinions. Even if you arnt familiar with those areas specifically, someone who is familiar with the high country and grizzly country in Wyoming and wouldn't mind bouncing ideas that would be appreciated. I have contacted the game and fish department many times and havnt had much luck talking with a biologist or a forrest ranger. They seem to be pretty busy. I have two camping spots and a few areas picked out to hike and hunt. If anyone is familiar please let me know and I can pm you or vise versa.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Grizzly country...its an adventure for sure...

1. Watch your back and stay very aware of your surroundings at all times. Bears are stinking quiet.
2. Follow all of the guidelines for being in bear country and you should have plenty of fun!

Reactions: kiddwinner

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
My dad is coming with me and I am the only one with a tag. We each will have bear spray and I will be carrying a 44 mag as well. We are planning on camping at the beginning of a major trailhead and hiking in from there each day. Our plan is to hike and call from the trailhead until we get a response and move in from there.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I'm just curious why someone coming out for a first trip to Wyoming picks a high grizz activity area ? To scary for me, lol!
Good luck and keep that bear spray handy.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Im not new to elk hunting, camping, backpacking, and I have a fair amount of woodsman skills so Im not worried about my ability to hold my own. I will definitely keep the bear spray handy!

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Sounds like you're well prepared, good luck ! That is some beautiful country.
Thanks! Im excited to get out there and check it out. Do you know if there area lot of cattle grazing in that area in the summer/early fall? Im not that worried about it because it doesn't seem to affect elk but I was just wondering. Where we went in Colorado, there were always cattle and sheep.

tjkreutz

Aug 17, 2019
Where are you coming from? I feel your trip may have very little probability of success. I used to hunt in those areas 15 years ago. Then Grizz made bow hunting very uncomfortable. Good luck.
I now hunt in Southern Wyoming where there are more elk and no Grizz. If you are interested in a quality DIY Wyoming ELK hunt (350+ Bulls) with a 42:100 bull to cow ratio in an awesome area with no public access and have no problem paying a modest landowner Tresspass fee of ~$2500, I have one opening for the last week of the Sep 2019 archery season in Wyoming, due to a last minute buddy not being able to go due to business obligations. I have exclusive access to a 12000+Acre private ranch surrounded by thousands of acres of NF and BLM land. This is not an offer, but instead an opportunity for a once in a lifetime Elk hunt for an ethical bow hunter and someone I feel could become a friend and join the brotherhood. If interested, Text me at 410-412-6922 for details.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Also hang them where you can see them from a distance along with what is around the area.

Bears like people like to lay down and take a nap after a good feed, and they don't like to be woke up.

Reactions: bowrunner

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Where are you coming from? I feel your trip may have very little probability of success. I used to hunt in those areas 15 years ago. Then Grizz made bow hunting very uncomfortable. Good luck.
I now hunt in Southern Wyoming where there are more elk and no Grizz. If you are interested in a quality DIY Wyoming ELK hunt (350+ Bulls) with a 42:100 bull to cow ratio in an awesome area with no public access and have no problem paying a modest landowner Tresspass fee of ~$2500, I have one opening for the last week of the Sep 2019 archery season in Wyoming, due to a last minute buddy not being able to go due to business obligations. I have exclusive access to a 12000+Acre private ranch surrounded by thousands of acres of NF and BLM land. This is not an offer, but instead an opportunity for a once in a lifetime Elk hunt for an ethical bow hunter and someone I feel could become a friend and join the brotherhood. If interested, Text me at 410-412-6922 for details.
Sorry I just saw this. I think we are set on our area. thanks tho

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Wyoming biologists/game and fish personnel are hammered with phone calls from hunters from around the country, give them time and they'll get back with you. Picture everybody on this thread calling them, and scale it by 100.

If you do get an elk down and can't get it out in one go, try to cache/hang the quarters AWAY from the carcass. Even if it kills you, pack the meat a good 100 yards from the carcass and cache it in a manner in which you can glass the area before you approach. Doing this can save your life.

Have fun!
Thanks for the tip. I think we are planning on doing exactly that if we get one down. I am planning on shooting the first legal elk besides a calf so I am hoping we get to haul out some meat. My dad will be shouldering a 45-70 while I break down the animal to stay on alert.

tjkreutz

Aug 17, 2019
Hey No Problem, after reading your story, I just felt for you and your dad and had to reach out to you guys. I just hate to see hunters travel all that way out west and spend all that time and money and not have a quality hunt. Hope you have a great hunt and not just a camping trip. I have hunted Wyoming for the past 23 years. I have friends and family living there. If you need any advise in the future about hunting areas in Wyoming, just give me a shout. Good Luck