Wyoming Elk with 12 Points

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Where in Wyoming would you hunt for a 330-350 class bull as a non res in a unit that does not have grizzlies?

Im not against hiring a outfitter but would prefer not to.

Thank you

Reactions: Bonecollector

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
IKEEPITCOLD,
i am in the same situation this season. i think ive narrowed my choices down but will be following to see where many recommend here????
i am going to stay DIY until i start over on points then try some wilderness pack in type trip hopefully in 2-3 yrs.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Let's face it, being non residents in 49 of the 50 states we have to bow to what the other 49 states DWR decide to do. One year it is one set of rules and then next year it may change to a totally different set. I have watched states go from random draws to a point system, from no waiting periods to multiple year waiting list after you draw. Then there are the tags, I have seen where some units go from a couple dozen tags down to only two or three, stuff happens. If you don't like the way that a particular state handles their non resident permits you can always move to that state and become a resident. Then if you don't like how they handle the resident application and permit process you can complain to your representative and see if you can get things changed.

For myself I don't like how it is in some states where you need to purchase a "hunting lease" to be able to even find a place to hunt, but with those state being mostly private I understand the process. As a resident of Colorado I don't like the fact that I now have to spend 2 or 3 preference points for a cow elk tag in the unit that I live in but can purchase a bull tag over the counter, but it just happens to be the way that it is right now.
So, do you have a suggestion on an area?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
IKIC,
Not being disrespectful at all but wanted to ask.

You are an Eastmans Staff Member and I assume have access to all those data bases of the MRS and associated 1099 dudes that made the phone calls to all the biologists for the data base and articles, all the Wyoming residing Staff members and the founding names family for info.

Makes me wonder. Why would you take input from the internet crowd? One would think one would use the resources and hold those cards close until post hunt.

I'm asking because I feel like I'm really good at researching tags and hunt areas and would love to have the resources and contacts I'm assuming are available to you. I'm asking also as I may learn something that would change how I currently research hunts.

Feel free to PM me if ya want.

Thanks

Slugz

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Disclaimer: Not saying thats what IKIC is doing here......

BUT, the more people yap about one specific area openly on a public forum for the world to see the less 1st choice applicants choose another area.

If everyone points to unit 38 in the bighorns as being the best unit for archery hunting in Wyoming it might take the pressure off of other bighorn units so they don't experience point creep....especially if they are trying to share points and trying to squeak by.....

Its a clever strategy and one that is used every year by many people on forums. Especially on the bowsite forum.....

The Missouri Breaks has the best elk hunting in Montana! (Meanwhile everyone is applying somewhere else, or sometimes even in other states)

Someone made a comment on Gohunt a few years back about how their friend had killed 2 different 200" bucks in a unit. The next three years the amount of people applying for that tag doubled every year.....Its just now starting to come down. Apparently guys found out that there wasn't many 200" bucks around...lol Meanwhile the unit right next to it experienced a reduction in the amount of points to draw. People are watching EVERYTHING that is said openly on the internet. I like to think that the guy who posted about the 200"ers was sitting on the minimum points and wanted a "decoy unit" and I would assume it worked based on the statistics. The people on Gohunt are suckers for sure.

The "Game of Tags" has begun.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Disclaimer: Not saying thats what IKIC is doing here......

BUT, the more people yap about one specific area openly on a public forum for the world to see the less 1st choice applicants choose another area.

If everyone points to unit 38 in the bighorns as being the best unit for archery hunting in Wyoming it might take the pressure off of other bighorn units so they don't experience point creep....especially if they are trying to share points and trying to squeak by.....

Its a clever strategy and one that is used every year by many people on forums. Especially on the bowsite forum.....

The Missouri Breaks has the best elk hunting in Montana! (Meanwhile everyone is applying somewhere else, or sometimes even in other states)

Someone made a comment on Gohunt a few years back about how their friend had killed 2 different 200" bucks in a unit. The next three years the amount of people applying for that tag doubled every year.....Its just now starting to come down. Apparently guys found out that there wasn't many 200" bucks around...lol Meanwhile the unit right next to it experienced a reduction in the amount of points to draw. People are watching EVERYTHING that is said openly on the internet. I like to think that the guy who posted about the 200"ers was sitting on the minimum points and wanted a "decoy unit" and I would assume it worked based on the statistics. The people on Gohunt are suckers for sure.

The "Game of Tags" has begun.
I agree with you on this. I would hope that most folks would PM myself, many did, rather then post openly.

I have learned not to post anything on Social rather it’s areas i hunt, photos that show too much background pretty much anything that would give anyone a hint on where I hunt.
I have no problem with giving good info on places I’ve hunted in the passed where I have been successful openly of on a PM.

Reactions: dbeatty65

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
IKIC,
Not being disrespectful at all but wanted to ask.

You are an Eastmans Staff Member and I assume have access to all those data bases of the MRS and associated 1099 dudes that made the phone calls to all the biologists for the data base and articles, all the Wyoming residing Staff members and the founding names family for info.

Makes me wonder. Why would you take input from the internet crowd? One would think one would use the resources and hold those cards close until post hunt.

I'm asking because I feel like I'm really good at researching tags and hunt areas and would love to have the resources and contacts I'm assuming are available to you. I'm asking also as I may learn something that would change how I currently research hunts.

Feel free to PM me if ya want.

Thanks

Slugz
Slugz, I can shed some light on this. First, I get calls all the time on hunts, where to hunt, being Wyoming resident and the Nevada writer that is what I typically end up talking about. Dan ends up talking Montana, so on an so forth. Most guys tell me up front that they are print subscribers or that they are TagHub members. If they are TagHub members we usually end up walking through all the variables that factor into their particular scenario and I try to help them out. If they tell me they are print only I don't verify that they are because honestly it's a waste of time. Most guys come to us simply wanting to verify their own research, and when they aren't a member or subscriber they end up asking to by the end of the call because I did my best to treat them right. Most of the time their mind is pretty well set on their plans and they just want confirmation that it is a good plan. Very rarely are they wrong because of how they use all the tools at their disposal.

Slugz, if you called me you would get the same answers that I gave Trent if your point totals and scenario is the same. The data doesn't change based on who is on the phone, only the points totals and hunt expectations.

Hope that helps.