Wyoming elk unit 38 type 9 vs 45 type 1 with archery stamp

bugler

Jan 10, 2020
Hello everyone! I am new to the group! Looking for a little advice form elk hunters that may have hunted unit 38 or 45. I have banked 11 points and I think I could draw 45 type 1 or 38 type 9. I am primarily a archery hunter and if choose 45 would plan on hunting the last two weeks with archery stamp, but would be willing to come back in October with a rifle. Looking for any opinions that may help me make my decision. I am looking for a good bull and the best hunting experience as I am sure I will never have the opportunity to hunt either unit ever again. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bugler

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Hello everyone! I am new to the group! Looking for a little advice form elk hunters that may have hunted unit 38 or 45. I have banked 11 points and I think I could draw 45 type 1 or 38 type 9. I am primarily a archery hunter and if choose 45 would plan on hunting the last two weeks with archery stamp, but would be willing to come back in October with a rifle. Looking for any opinions that may help me make my decision. I am looking for a good bull and the best hunting experience as I am sure I will never have the opportunity to hunt either unit ever again. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bugler
I am in the same boat. 10 points and think I am going rifle in 38 , never been there but heard it is a little easier terrain to get around in. I will be 64 at time of hunt, so will be my last time there. Would like to here pro's and cons from some one who's been there as well............BOB!

bugler

Jan 10, 2020
I am in the same boat. 10 points and think I am going rifle in 38 , never been there but heard it is a little easier terrain to get around in. I will be 64 at time of hunt, so will be my last time there. Would like to here pro's and cons from some one who's been there as well............BOB!

bugler

Jan 10, 2020
I have a buddy who has hunted 38 rifle quite a few times. Weather can really dictate the hunt from what I hear. Snow pushes them off mountain onto private, but he has killed 3 for 3 up there.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Both are weather dependant, the more weather, the farther down the mountain they push. Very finicky units but produce plenty of elk!