Wyoming elk help

Al k

Oct 17, 2018
I?m looking to do a rifle cow elk hunt in 2019 and am having a hard time on deciding where to go. Going with a friend and we are both reasonably young and in pretty good shape. We want to hike in a few miles and set up a camp and stay for a week. Looking to go somewhere away from people that has a decent chance of killing a cow or 2. So far we are looking at unit 38 but I?ve been reading some mixed reviews. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Writing this from my tent in the Black Hills of SD enroute to WY for speed goats)

How about going to the new members thread and introdcing yourself? [emoji6]

Lots of good info to be had from great folks on this forum; but ya need to break the ice a little.

Most times too, I've learned that discussing specific areas in units-unless they are well known common knowledge-is somewhat frowned upon. We still do it, but don't expect folks to openly spill the beans on their honey holes-most of the time. [emoji38] Once folks get to know ya, the private message feature is useful to share information.

That being said, I would look at the stats on the WYGF website spanning several yrs, find units with accessible public lands, HMAs, WIA or a reasonable trespass fees on private land, sensible harvest success, pick one or two, pow-wow over the phone with the biologist & warden for the short list of units, draw the tag and go hunt!

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Al k

Oct 17, 2018
(Writing this from my tent in the Black Hills of SD enroute to WY for speed goats)

How about going to the new members thread and introdcing yourself? [emoji6]

Lots of good info to be had from great folks on this forum; but ya need to break the ice a little.

Most times too, I've learned that discussing specific areas in units-unless they are well known common knowledge-is somewhat frowned upon. We still do it, but don't expect folks to openly spill the beans on their honey holes-most of the time. [emoji38] Once folks get to know ya, the private message feature is useful to share information.

That being said, I would look at the stats on the WYGF website spanning several yrs, find units with accessible public lands, HMAs, WIA or a reasonable trespass fees on private land, sensible harvest success, pick one or two, pow-wow over the phone with the biologist & warden for the short list of units, draw the tag and go hunt!

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Explain how asking for suggestions on a unit to kill a COW is asking for someone?s ?honeyhole?. Not asking for exact areas or coordinates to someone?s favorite place. Asking for advice on a several hundred square mile piece of land isn?t exactly giving away any honeyholes. Especially to shoot a cow.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
e31.jpg

It's always entertaining when first posts ask for info, even more so when they are feisty. I'm guessing there won't be any good info at this point.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Explain how asking for suggestions on a unit to kill a COW is asking for someone?s ?honeyhole?. Not asking for exact areas or coordinates to someone?s favorite place. Asking for advice on a several hundred square mile piece of land isn?t exactly giving away any honeyholes. Especially to shoot a cow.
Hey Al, please go drop an introduction and put the rude emoji's to rest. Prerylyon wasn't disrespectful, although ikeepitcold and I usually ask first about introductions in situations like this.