Wyoming Deer Unit 22 or General Area B (units 10, 11, 12, 13 14) What to do?

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I need to decide on a leftover tag in case I don't draw my first choice. I've been looking at General Areas A, B and C. Don't really want to hunt in November in General Area A as I think there may be some decent bucks in northern Wisconsin this fall and I want to bowhunt the rut here. Haven't looked at General Area C much (yet). Looking at B, I see Unit 22 is a limited draw (did that just change and why?), while a Tag exists that includes 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 this year. I've looked at maps and understand 22 has patchwork public access but it looks doable (I do have that app and know how to read a map, lol). And I've read that Unit 10 can be a challenging hunt in the grasslands. But I also notice that Unit 13 has a big chunk of public land. So, any insight would be appreciated as to whether to put all my eggs into Unit 22 or go big with Units 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. Any ideas what the leftover licenses will be for these two tags? I don't know, but maybe all of these units were a general tag last year?

I have driven on 85/18 north of Lusk and seem to recall a lot of open cattle country (Unit 12 I think)? I do have plenty of time to scout before hunting as I'm moving into that hallowed place called retirement this summer. Physically...I just backpacked the Grand Canyon :D. Not looking for a trophy, just want to hunt Wyoming this fall as I didn't get an elk permit :(

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Only 3. But I don't want to burn them and therefore looking for second choice units. 10 is now included with the other units I mentioned. But I can't find draw results for this combination. In 2015, 22 only took a point in the special. But not sure I could draw that with a leftover? I should have posted another question if they consider the higher priced special license in the left over drawing?

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
22 and 10 will not make it to leftover. 10 will only have 100 tags this year.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt a general tag in A, B, or C, but if I go back to Wyoming it will be to a limited draw area. Several that have plenty of public land, and from what I understand a couple that can be drawn second choice.

I'm not sure how second choice/leftover special tags work, I just know all those tags for 10 and 22 will draw first choice.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Curious, do you know if the 100 tags for Unit 10, include Units 11, 12, 13 and 14? Thats what's on the Wyoming website for this tag or draw. The only General license's listed in General Area B are in Units 7, 8, 9 and 21 up by the Black Hills. Anyone know where I can find tag quotas for 2017? Maybe I should start another thread?

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Looks to me like 10, A, B, and C, could all be drawn second choice special last year.

After what happened with the Montana draw I suspect that those may change, but who knows.

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
Curious, do you know if the 100 tags for Unit 10, include Units 11, 12, 13 and 14? Thats what's on the Wyoming website for this tag or draw. The only General license's listed in General Area B are in Units 7, 8, 9 and 21 up by the Black Hills. Anyone know where I can find tag quotas for 2017? Maybe I should start another thread?
10 is a limited quota area- you have to draw an area 10 tag to hunt it. You can't use the B region tag to hunt in 10 if you are looking at a type 1 tag.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
That whitetail tag does exist. I haven't ever seen a whitetail in that area, but could probably find one if needed. WGF does put an asterisk by it for difficult access as they live mostly on private.

If a whitetail works for you maybe take a look at draw odds for SD west river as well.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Looks to me like 10, A, B, and C, could all be drawn second choice special last year.

After what happened with the Montana draw I suspect that those may change, but who knows.
That's the million dollar question for me, lol. I'd like to have a "sure thing" as my second choice. But with all that happened this past winter, I don't know if that is possible. I like what I see for unit 10, but not sure I can put my apples into that basket. I may have to consider C or or possibly A.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Made a decision?

I think my wife is applying for 10. Not sure if regular or special.

I'm doing all South Dakota archery I think. Kind of depends on whether we are going to Wyoming or not.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
She would probably only rifle hunt in Wyoming, but doesn't have any points so very unlikely she will draw. She does have preference points for SD west river deer. Hopefully enough to draw any deer in the NW. She will archery hunt with me this fall, but has little confidence in her abilities so is applying for rifle tags as well. I'm just buying points and hunting with a bow. If she draws I will assist her on these hunts. She will pretty much do the same with me for archery season.

Thats the plan today. We go back and forth on how and who should apply for Wyoming this year. Until we actually apply your guess is as good as mine. Unit 10. Other than that who really knows.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
She would probably only rifle hunt in Wyoming, but doesn't have any points so very unlikely she will draw. She does have preference points for SD west river deer. Hopefully enough to draw any deer in the NW. She will archery hunt with me this fall, but has little confidence in her abilities so is applying for rifle tags as well. I'm just buying points and hunting with a bow. If she draws I will assist her on these hunts. She will pretty much do the same with me for archery season.

Thats the plan today. We go back and forth on how and who should apply for Wyoming this year. Until we actually apply your guess is as good as mine. Unit 10. Other than that who really knows.
I will send you a PM

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Made a decision?

I think my wife is applying for 10. Not sure if regular or special.

I'm doing all South Dakota archery I think. Kind of depends on whether we are going to Wyoming or not.
NOOOO.... Now I'm looking at Y. I've got a page of questions to call and ask the biologist and that will help. But I'm just not sure I can get a left over tag in B. Maybe I'll win the lottery and get my Bighorn tag and that will settle all hunting questions this fall, lol.