Wyoming considering a move?

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
We have been looking in Wyoming too. Plan to retire there soon. The areas we have looked (in person) are running $350k+ in town for something decent. In the country... add another $80k++.
We have looked into building also. Unimproved lots are running $70k- $150K for .25-5 acres depending on availability of water, gas and electric. If the acreage has a stream, they can run into the $500K-$2M for just a few acres.
Drilling a well will run you $15-20K. Septic...$10-13K.
Putting a 2000 s.f. modular on 5 acres with garage and porch... on a slab will run about -$400K minimum. This is Buffalo, Sheridan, Dayton areas. Gasoline averages about forty cents per gallon higher than where we live in Missouri right now... year in and year out. (Been vacationing in WY for 22 years). Groceries seem to be about 20% higher than here in the midwest. Most all durable goods, clothes etc seem to be considerably higher than what we are used to here. A person needs to REALLY appreciate that WY lifestyle over convenience and inexpensive living.

Swift

Feb 14, 2015
Fairbanks AK
Growing up in Sheridan we seemed to have the best of both worlds (as a kid leaching off the parents) with no state income tax and sales tax free shopping in Billings 113 miles away. That might help offset some of the costs of living.
I retired from the military and moved to Alaska this year and still find myself wishing i had moved back to Wyo instead. I love Alaska but Wyoming will always be a part of me even if its has changed so much from what I remember.