Wyoming Bull Bison Hunt Fall 2020

tetonhunter

Jun 13, 2020
The last time I drew a bison tag was in 2014. From the research I've done and the most recent harvest statistics, things have changed a bit since then! I took a great 12 year old cow on New Year's Day in 2015, it was -17 degrees, and with the wind blowing who knows what the wind chill was. But I had a great hunt sneaking up a frozen creek bed to within 100 yards of a herd of 75 animals. Then spent over an hour picking out my cow and trying to keep track of her as all the bison meandered around feeding. Finally had a clear shot and the 250gr bullet from the old 338 found its mark. The memories of that hunt have kept me applying for bison tags all over the west, but the odds are abysmal! Well, this year was the first year I could apply here in Wyoming again, and what do you know, I got lucky and drew a bull tag! I've spent the past month doing my research and trying to get an up to date picture of what to expect on the bull hunt this year. Looks like a lot has changed for Wyoming bison hunting over the past 6 years! I'm planning on hunting opening week, even though I cringe at the thought of hunting in 80+ degree temps (like Aug 2019)! I plan on talking with Jon Stephens (game warden) and Ralph Greene (tag n drag), are they still there? Any other help or insights are appreciated! And if you just want to jaw about bison hunting, that's more than welcome. A great part of these once-in-a-lifetime type hunts is sharing the experiences with other hunters.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Congrats on drawing the tag! I've been trying for years and haven't drawn bull or cow as resident. Things have really changed and the success rate had really dropped.

I know you probably want to do a DIY, but I've heard the Tag & Drag outfit are pretty good. They keep tabs on the buffalo and will call you when they see the buffalo have moved into the hunt area.

Good luck and post your pictures and story.

Last edited:
Reactions: tetonhunter

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I suggest trying to get it done early in the forest. The late season part has been abysmal the past few years. Buffalo aren't migrating like they used to even with plenty of snow. My friend had the tag last year and was absolutely disgusted with the hunt. But hopefully you can get onto them early and not have to wait for the late season mess. Jon is still the north Jackson warden and tag n drag is still here

Reactions: Bonecollector

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Good luck on your hunt! My wife drew a bull tag back in 1999 and it still rates as perhaps my favorite hunt of all time. There were only 4 tags given out at that time and only 2 bull hunters allowed to hunt during that week. We hunted off horseback and packed it out with mules. It was a great experience.
She drew a 2nd bull tag about 8 years ago and it was also alot of fun but not the same experience as her first hunt...more hunters... some unscrupulous ones as well.
Best of luck, I hope you get a good one.

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I would use Tag and Drag for their retrieval services only.
Bulls still tend to migrate over earlier than the cows, get a NER permit for sure.
Call the Jackson office and the gals there can tell you all about the bison and the hunting, they have info daily when the season gets going.
Jon is a great contact and he will let you know what's going on with the bison.
Good luck, I think your bull tag will get filled !