Wyoming Bison

gon4elk

Feb 21, 2011
Cache Valley, Utah
So with the new rule this year having to front the $$$ for Bison, who in NRes world is still going to put in? I put in over the weekend. The word is there's going to be a lot of NRs drop out because of this??? Hope this will help the odds a little. ;), I need all the help I can get.

Steve

PS - tried to find out on the Wyo g & f site just how many have put in the past and can't find it. Seems I've seen this before.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
With the ranking system, I know that the letter you received from the GF would tell you that you were number xxxx out of 3000 telling you the total number of applicants for that type. When you looked up your draw results, it would just show your assigned ranking and not the total number of applicants. Other than the letter received, I've not seen anything (online) that told you the number of people that applied. I assume after this year's draw, they'll start posting the stats like the other species.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
The only difference I can see would be that now if you draw the tag you either go on the hunt or eat the tag where previously if you got called you could drop out and not lose much of anything. I really don't know why anyone who put in for it in the past would do so if they didn't have the cash and want to go on it if they got called.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Not that I ever applied, but if I drew I would find some way to pay for the tag no matter what! Prob wont get another chance at it.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Not that I ever applied, but if I drew I would find some way to pay for the tag no matter what! Prob wont get another chance at it.
You'd be surprised how many people that were drawn and decided to not buy the license for one reason or another. Though it wasn't from lack of persuasive tactics by me, I personally know of three people that did this in the last 5 years.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I will admit I have applied for tags that I kinda hoped I didnt draw because of what they costs but If I had drawn I would have paid for the tag some way or another and went hunting!

Dec 14, 2012
Minnesota
I will admit I have applied for tags that I kinda hoped I didnt draw because of what they costs but If I had drawn I would have paid for the tag some way or another and went hunting!
I agree with you MM. There should be no reason to try for the draw if you aren't going to put up the money for the tag. I am doing exactly what you said for the Super Trifecta. If I would win it's going to be some spend licenses I have to buy! But there is no way I wouldn't find the money one way or another.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
The only difference I can see would be that now if you draw the tag you either go on the hunt or eat the tag where previously if you got called you could drop out and not lose much of anything. I really don't know why anyone who put in for it in the past would do so if they didn't have the cash and want to go on it if they got called.
*** Everyone is different topgun. Life circumstances might have got in the way.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I understand that things happen but how many NR tags are there? I find it hard to believe that that high of a percentage of the NR's that draw have something change that much between app time and the draw results.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I'll be applying but kinda hope I don't draw due to the high tag cost and expenses involved. I think there will be quite a few less applicants. Kind of like when the WY sheep apps were $7 and I applied for all 3 of my sons. Many of those who applied for multiple family members will drop out.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I'll be applying but kinda hope I don't draw due to the high tag cost and expenses involved. I think there will be quite a few less applicants. Kind of like when the WY sheep apps were $7 and I applied for all 3 of my sons. Many of those who applied for multiple family members will drop out.

***Not quite following you on that one Zim! Why would you apply if you hope you don't draw?

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Its one of those 'I cant quite afford this right now but drawing odds are low and I want my name in the hat every chance I get and if i get drawn Im going to make it happen one way or another but if I drew in 2 or 3 years it would be better'. Atleast thats how I look at some hunts like this.