Wyoming Antelope Unit 16

Airborne1

Sep 20, 2011
Springfield, Illinois
Wondering what kind of hunt I could expect from unit 16? Its an easy to draw unit because of the lack of public land but there is some public to hunt it looks like. Just looking to go out and fill the freezer with some does without burning any points this year. Would paying an access fee to hunt private property be worth it if I'm only hunting does?

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
I hunted 16 in 2014 as my first ever western hunt and am considering heading back this fall on a second choice. A good map and a GPS chip will be your friend in the unit. There are goats on public, you just have to find them. Be prepared to put some miles on your car and boots. There is accessible public land, but it's in smallish sections. Private access would absolutely make it that much easier. We had a few locals offer access to hunt does and we didn't even ask them. It just kind of came out in conversations.

If you end up putting in for the unit let me know. I'd be happy to share some more details with ya. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

bigdonniebrasco

Mar 8, 2016
I actually just joined this sight today because I have been researching unit 16 as well. 11 Bravo ... never take the easy way! :)

If you're planning on driving and aren't already teamed up, I'm in KS, we could link up somewhere along the way unless you are strictly a solo hunter.

Regards

Don

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
Hunted it last year on a leftover tag. The public land in much of the unit is pretty rough but has some antelope on it. I think I ended up hiking in about 2.5 miles to shoot mine last year. It was a tough hunt and you definitely need a GPS but it beats sitting at home. There was a fair amount of pressure and I was hunting in the middle of the week, they give out a pile of tags for the unit and deer season is going on at the same time. There is also some walk-in land to hunt. PM me if you have any specific questions

Jlrineer1

Nov 29, 2015
I am headed to 16 this year. We have a group of 6 going out on our first trip. I bought the Eastman's MRS and the BLM maps. The people at the BLM were very helpful with answering my questions. We're taking an enclosed trailer to sleep on BLM land. We put in for the special deer tag for region C as well. I like the idea of being able to go to other areas in search of Muleys if you aren't seeing anything. I bought the OnXmaps for my phone also. On my off time I mark out way points for public roads that cross public land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
16 is doable but it has an asterisk for a reason.
6 people together is going to make it that much harder.
6 people on a combo.... Exponential 10

Jlrineer1

Nov 29, 2015
Well we're not all hunting 16 the same time. You have the entire region of C to hunt mule deer and honestly most of the guys going are more concerned with mule deer than anything. We'll have 2 trucks and hopefully basecamp will be in an area we can walk hunt from. I'd like to have 3 teams of 2 with the trucks going to either other areas for muleys or try a few road hunting areas in 16. Plus we'll have 2 trailers so if 2 or 3 people tag out on antelope they can go to a completely different unit and set up camp. At the end of the day I am just excited to be going west so even if I come back with some good memories and the experience it'll still be worth every penny.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Well we're not all hunting 16 the same time. You have the entire region of C to hunt mule deer and honestly most of the guys going are more concerned with mule deer than anything. We'll have 2 trucks and hopefully basecamp will be in an area we can walk hunt from. I'd like to have 3 teams of 2 with the trucks going to either other areas for muleys or try a few road hunting areas in 16. Plus we'll have 2 trailers so if 2 or 3 people tag out on antelope they can go to a completely different unit and set up camp. At the end of the day I am just excited to be going west so even if I come back with some good memories and the experience it'll still be worth every penny.

Thats a good plan to stay mobile, flexible and cover ground