Wyoming Antelope Question

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I hunted antelope in WY 2009 Sept 18-22 and never had any problem with bugs. I'm guessing you will be able to leave the bug juice at home. Good luck!

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I agree!! Shoot all the rattlers!!!! I took out about 5 of them today just with my swather! Haha but depending on where you are hunting, you shouldn't need any bug spray. I have never had a problem with them on my antelope hunts.

brooks

Aug 3, 2011
New Mexico
You can buy a can of bug spray thats about the size of a cell phone for 2 bucks. This is what you need to watch out for.... the Wyoming praire rattler. I run into a few every year hunting goats.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thats a fact! One year (don't remember exactly which one), I was crawling up to a rocky outcropping to get a better look at a buck antelope when I came face to face with one! Needless to say the stalk was no more. I yelled and jumped high enough to scare off any goats within a mile or so! One less buzz tail and a clean pair of skivvies needed;)

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Back in 1997 I was hunting lopers near Dubois. I kneeled down and had my left hand on the ground. I just happened to look down and about 6 in. from my hand was a little 1 1/2 prarie rattler coiled up inside of the weeds. I pulled my hand away fast and as I was doing it the rattler struck at my hand. About 1 second later he would of tagged me. The guy I was hunting with saw it and freaked out. I pinned it down and caught it and took it back to his truck. He hated snakes. I did the same thing to a friend in Ca. once and he beat me back to his truck and took off and left me for about 20 min.. I've seen rattlers in Wy. in Sept. and Oct. but never in Nov.. Too cold and hibernating by then unless you get a warm spell. Never had trouble with mosquitos. A 22 auto pistol would be a good repelant without making a bunch of noise, maybe.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Lol!! I used to have a pet rattler! Not one I ever picked up though! He lived in a snake cage in my closet and it always helped wake me up in the mornings when I would go in to find some clothes and I wouldn't see him in his cage! I only had him for about a year, I decided with my kids around I should get rid of him.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I was trying to think of a round with shot in it. I have some for 44 mag and 22 mag but they are loud. If I see a rattler I usually leave it alone unless it needs to be killed. Mosquitos I kill on site !

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Jen,
Yeah with little kids not a good idea ! My son will hold any snake I have but not the rattler. He's never struck at me for 17 yrs.
No excuse but he's happy just to get out of his cage. I think it's because he's known nothing but me since born so he has no reason to fear me. I catch rattlers now and then to feed to my king snakes. Southern Pacific's and Western Diamond backs have a mean attitude ! A lot of Red Diamond backs around me.

justinthedoc

Jul 15, 2011
you Crazy man:), Dnt know how many times I thought hmm havent seen a snake and then bamm, I could probably win the olympics in the high jump, and win the scream like a girl contest. I only kill the ones that dnt rattle, there the ones that freak me out. Had one smack my boot once didnt now what the crap it was til I looked over and saw the jerk. He was 5 feet long with 16 rattles, stil have the skin. Sucker should have warned me, and i was lucky enough to be just far enough away that she hit my upper boot. I was a about 3 hours from the truck so that would have sucked.

Last edited:

PLP

Jun 10, 2012
I hate those things!!Lost 2 dogs to diamond backs..Back in ga they grow bigger than the deer..lol

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
you Crazy man:), Dnt know how many times I thought hmm havent seen a snake and then bamm, I could probably win the olympics in the high jump, and win the scream like a girl contest. I only kill the ones that dnt rattle, there the ones that freak me out. Had one smack my boot once didnt now what the crap it was til I looked over and saw the jerk. He was 5 feet long with 16 rattles, stil have the skin. Sucker should have warned me, and i was lucky enough to be just far enough away that she hit my upper boot. I was a about 3 hours from the truck so that would have sucked.
He was probably old and didn't feel you coming, sleeping or to old/tired to rattle. mine has 18 rattles but has broke twice. you can snap it back on but will eventually come off again, unless you crazy glue it. LOL !
PLP,
I have a friend who's mastaff,pit bull mix got bit in the face when he tried to bite one. It's head sweeled up huge. Couldn't breath. He took to the vet and ended up with a $700.00 bill ! About 2 mon. later he got bit again and my friend said he ain't going to do a thing. Dog got over it. Maybe had some imunity from first time ???

Last edited:

PLP

Jun 10, 2012
one of my dogs was a rat terrier which was my squirrel dog..the other was a shitzu..within 5 min of being bitten they were paralyzed,and couldnt control body functions..shallow breathing..within a few hours they were gone..The first one I paid the money for the anti-venom..the second..didnt make it to the vet.they were 10# dogs.My uncle had a few walker dogs that had been bitten,and their heads swole up like basketballs,but they made it.I think it depends on the size of the dog.