wy moose

killz

Feb 24, 2011
is unit 36 a good unit to kill a moose? doesn't have to be a record just want to draw, kill, and be done with it.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Yep, killing a moose in area 36 shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just make sure to give yourself at least a week or so for the hunt.

wyoming_man

Mar 1, 2011
Cowboy Country!!
Area 36 is an interesting choice as its not your classic moose country. We hunted it for moose in 98'. Most of the terrain is sage brush and quakies as opposed to the willow creek bottoms. You may have some difficulty with access as most of the land is private, however, there is an HMU around Medicine peak. Good luck and if you would like a little more info if you draw it just drop me a line.

killz

Feb 24, 2011
well we were thinking about 36 but put in for 26. would you happen to know anything about that? it was a last min decision based on numbers and access. appreciate any help thanks

wyoming_man

Mar 1, 2011
Cowboy Country!!
how do you do that?
Log in like you are applying for a tag. You will see the box "View Previously Submitted Applications" Click on it and you can modify from there. I killed a 40" moose in unit 26 in 1999. It was the 6th bull I saw that morning on opening day. The numbers have dropped a bunch since that time and I have heard that the size of animals has also dropped. You can guess what many people blame it on. My moose was taken in the the little Cottonwood drainage, but pretty much every drainage has some nice bulls.

Dr Dizzle

Mar 10, 2011
I tried to research unit 36 on the web and came up with nothing. Looking at it on google earth it looks like it would be great for goats and mulies and not much for Moose. Any thoughts on unit 25 for Moose?

llp

Mar 15, 2011
I would be skeptical of Unit 36 for moose. I drew unit 26 two years ago, and there are moose, but it wasn't anything special.
B

Dr Dizzle

Mar 10, 2011
I admit, Unit 36 looks iffy, but the great Eastmans staff gives it blue chip status in the MRS. It's not the usual moose habitiat and if you check the maps, it's a checkerboard of BLM, State, and private lands in the southern 2/3's. I'd be more concerned about access and locating moose in little pockets than anything. On the plus side you'd be able to put your spotting scope to good use.