WY Elk unit 98 vs 48

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
This is last year my son will be qualified for WY junior tag and I would like to go with him to hunt some elk in WY. We don't have much of choices since he has only three points for elk, were looking for unit 98 and 48, I have never hunted those areas but have done a lot of research, each unit has some pros and cons, like 98 is couple hours shorter drive, mostly thick woods, some wilderness and most of elk might be high in wilderness if weather is warm, it has plenty of public land to hunt, better dates. Unit 48 is more flat and open area, better success rate, but there is a lot of private and might be hard to find good hunting area. This is my opinion, what would you guys advise? Am I missing something? Any other units to consider?
He has four antelope points and we might combine this hunt but elk is number one priority.
Please feel free to pm me. Thank you.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Have some private land picked out for a trespass fee hunt in area# 48. They are not cheap. There are a few HMAs, but generally, when the guns start going off...the elk bail onto private and tend to stay there. I'd look elsewhere.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I've hunted in 98. I had a good time and had no trouble finding elk. I wouldn't worry too much about wilderness area access. I'm a resident and I never set foot in a wilderness area once the season opened. Just get off the trail. I didn't fill my tag but that's more of a reflection on my efforts than unit quality.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Well your son probably won't draw the 48 tag with only three points, unless your kicking some in. With three points I would look at a general unit.
Thank you. I just checked and he actually has four points for elk. I think he should have 100% in unit 48 with three points, am I right? Am I missing something? I have hunted deer and antelope in WY but never hunted elk and don't know any general areas.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Thank you. I just checked and he actually has four points for elk. I think he should have 100% in unit 48 with three points, am I right? Am I missing something? I have hunted deer and antelope in WY but never hunted elk and don't know any general areas.
Well, I am mistaken, last year he would have had a good shot in the reg draw but not the special go figure? Last year it was 100% in the reg draw with three points, but their were only two tags left at that PP level and only two people were in. I would suspect pp creep will go up this year, but not sure how much. with four points he is on the right side though and should have a good chance at drawing.

dukeball33

Sep 10, 2014
I would agree with shootbrownelk... If you are coming from CA and spending the money on a NR tag I would seriously look into landowners in 48 that have trespass fees. The amount of private land in the southern Bighorns makes hunting difficult, especially if you only have a limited time window. Even though 98 is general, I would hunt there if you don't want to spend the extra money on a trespass fee in 48.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
How does one find a list of landowners in the 48 unit who allow access? I don't see any listed on the WY F&G site.
I see a lot of checkerboard properties, some are sizeable. But in some of that open country, it gets crowed quick and the elk move quickly as well.
PM's welcome.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I also put my son in for 48 as this will be his last chance as a youth. Let me know if you draw, I have hunted the area quite a few times. I am the farthest thing from an expert but I do have familiarity with the area and can possibly get you some phone numbers.