WY Elk Unit 38 or 45

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
The guys that have hunting 38 with rifle is it daring to take your truck up there and if there is alot of snow come in your screwed getting off the mountain or does any one take like a side by side with tracks and able to get into a better area and not have to worry about getting off the mountain, did u say 38 is pretty accessible?

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
The guys that have hunting 38 with rifle is it daring to take your truck up there and if there is alot of snow come in your screwed getting off the mountain or does any one take like a side by side with tracks and able to get into a better area and not have to worry about getting off the mountain, did u say 38 is pretty accessible?
EVERYBODY and their brother has a ATV in 38, ur handicapped if you dont. A lot of the roads are not passable in a pick up, so if u hike in its likely a ATV will come whizzing by.

Im sure there are places to get off the road but a ATV will help take u back further where trucks cant go.

If it snows bad your gonna be stuck until they get the highway cleared, might as well hunt. I assume you will camp up on the mountain or do you plan to drive up each day? Thats a lot of driving if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
EVERYBODY and their brother has a ATV in 38, ur handicapped if you dont. A lot of the roads are not passable in a pick up, so if u hike in its likely a ATV will come whizzing by.

Im sure there are places to get off the road but a ATV will help take u back further where trucks cant go.

If it snows bad your gonna be stuck until they get the highway cleared, might as well hunt. I assume you will camp up on the mountain or do you plan to drive up each day? Thats a lot of driving if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont have an atv but was planning on buying one or using one but was wondering if the trail was really traveled with trucks or atv's. Are there alot of trails through 38 that make it very easy for people to go all over the unit and make it hard getting away from the road hunters?

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I dont have an atv but was planning on buying one or using one but was wondering if the trail was really traveled with trucks or atv's. Are there alot of trails through 38 that make it very easy for people to go all over the unit and make it hard getting away from the road hunters?
After we deer hunted last fall we drove up to 38 to take a look. Lots of hunters and every single camp had a ATV, the game warden parked his truck and used his ATV to travel around and check hunters.

Those forest 2 tracks were nasty and only passable with a ATV, some of the main forest roads were nasty too but a day or two of no moisture and you could drive your truck on them.

As far as getting away from people I dont know, I would like to thank so but I havent spent and real time in that unit nor have I scoured over maps. There were a few horse trailers parked too so that tells me there are some places to get away.

Last fall changed my mind about 38, it may be a great area but I dont want to deal with that many people. I do that enough on a general deer tag.

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
I hunted 45 this year. Had 6 points and drew type 1. I had the type 9 tag first year they went to pp. I wouldn't go the type 9 again either. I bowhunted this year and saw a ton of big bulls. Went back for start of rifle and saw lot of smaller 6 points. Ended up with a 5 point Nov. 3rd.
I have 8 years getting to know unit with helping others and a cow tag 2 years ago. Made 4 trips there in 2013 between scouting and hunting. I won't draw again for 6 to 8 years but willing to help someone else that draws the unit. Even go so far as a scouting trip with them to pass on what I know. I don't see where I have much to lose by passing on info but maybe a lot to gain back from them. Still planning on hauling a 320 to 350 bull out of that unit before I can't walk up the mountains any more.
I know your offer is a little dated - but I drew a Unit 45 type 1 for this fall. Anything you can share to help me with my planning? Thanks

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
How many points does it take now ? I will have 14 going into next year , wanna know where that will get me . I will be 67 by time of the hunt . Whats better to get around in ? 38 or 45 . Thanks Bob! Anybody can pm me if ya want. I know its a ways out yet!

Rlshrumva

May 22, 2022
How many points does it take now ? I will have 14 going into next year , wanna know where that will get me . I will be 67 by time of the hunt . Whats better to get around in ? 38 or 45 . Thanks Bob! Anybody can pm me if ya want. I know its a ways out yet!
I had to 14 when I drew this year!!

Reactions: Naturebob