WY Elk Unit 38 or 45

roscoe

Oct 23, 2013
Never too early to start thinking about next year hunting season. I am 1 year behind max points and am ready to draw a Wyoming elk tag. looking at the bighorns and eastmans mrs section is pointing me toward units 38 or 45. not looking for any specifics just a unit # P.M. if you wanna keep it quiet or give any additional info. would also consider unit 117 as it is really close to home and I know the elk on the SD very well, just worried about finding elk on small amount of public land.

I am a DIY Public land hunter not scared too hike/hunt rougher terrain.

I am a SD resident and chase elk every fall in black hills unit H2 if anyone needs any info there P.M. me

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
That's a tough decision!! Both units are great units! I hunt 38 as long as I draw it. Lol there are some great bulls in the unit and I know it.very well. That's why I always choose 38. I have friends that hunt 45 and have great luck every year. If you decide to go with 38, let me know and I will give you some advice :)

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
45 is a mucher tougher draw than 38. If it were me, I would do 45 with the points you have.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
In 2012 Unit 38 any weapon took 4 points 100% draw & archery took 5 points 60% draw.

In 2012 Unit 45 took 6 points 100% draw for both any weapon and archery.

2013 stats should be out in a week or two.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
2013 draw odds are out. Looks like for the special tag you should be able to draw it. On the regular license, it will probably be iffy.

Here are my 2 cents (somebody correct me if I'm wrong): Don't get the type 9 tag for 45. If you draw the type 1 tag, obviously you can rifle hunt but you can also bowhunt there from Sept 15-30.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I hunted 45 this year, had 5 points but applied for the special tag (type 9) and drew. 3 of us had tags and we brought home 2 bulls. Hunted 6th-13th and then dad went back for the last 5 days of season and still never had any luck. We saw a lot of elk and some good bulls too. We hired an outfitter and spent half our trip in a spike camp several miles in the backcountry. I think we were a week early before the rut really began, elk were bugling good but wouldn't come in to any call we tried. Guides said that was the worst rut season he has experienced in that area. It was a good trip, we had a great time and became good friends with the guides, Im going to start building points again to get back up there. We saw some good bulls and I was in elk everyday, but we didn't bring home anything big. I have no experience with 38, this was my first year in wyoming and im ready to go back.

roscoe

Oct 23, 2013
Between P.M.'s and post here its pretty split! looks like I can't go wrong with either Unit. I would love to hunt the bighorns for elk/deer every other year or so(I am aware of draw odds and realize this is 2-3 deer tags to 1 elk tag), and would prefer to get familiar with 1 area. I know the deer and elk units are not the same but believe they overlap some. Which area offers good hunting opportunity for deer and elk?

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
The elk rut in the Bighorns was real late this year and was still going and the bulls bugling, fighting, chasing when we took a 6x7 nontypical bull and a cow from a big herd on opening of rifle season on 10/9 in unit 49 to the south of 45. We took another 5x5 bull the following week and the rut was winding down, but they were still doing some bugling. We also took a cow the last week of the season and there was still some bugling going on, which is as late as I've ever seen it out there and I hunt every year.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Both units are great but I have to go with Jen on this one. It is 38 for me all the way. I too know it exceptionally well and cannot sing the praises of 38 enough. I might say the same of 45 if I knew it as well. The nice thing about 38 is the ability to "follow the herd" if snow pushes them down low. There is a vast array of terrain types and one can hunt from the road and day hike into places or get pretty buried in the bush via backpack, it all depends on what you like. I've done both in there and the quality of the hunts is always wonderful. This last Labor Day weekend found me tagless but a good buddy had drawn 38. We car camped and hunted around our camp. We were in elk the entire time we were out and he punched his tag on a nice bull the third day. He wasn't looking for a trophy and wanted a soft bed each night. Short hikes and lots of elk made for a comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable hunt. That being said the times I've packed in deeper have been great as well. It all depends on what a hunter is looking for. My two pesos.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Both units are great but I have to go with Jen on this one. It is 38 for me all the way. I too know it exceptionally well and cannot sing the praises of 38 enough. I might say the same of 45 if I knew it as well. The nice thing about 38 is the ability to "follow the herd" if snow pushes them down low. There is a vast array of terrain types and one can hunt from the road and day hike into places or get pretty buried in the bush via backpack, it all depends on what you like. I've done both in there and the quality of the hunts is always wonderful. This last Labor Day weekend found me tagless but a good buddy had drawn 38. We car camped and hunted around our camp. We were in elk the entire time we were out and he punched his tag on a nice bull the third day. He wasn't looking for a trophy and wanted a soft bed each night. Short hikes and lots of elk made for a comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable hunt. That being said the times I've packed in deeper have been great as well. It all depends on what a hunter is looking for. My two pesos.
Yay!!!! Someone agrees with me!! :)

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
I hunted 45 this year. Had 6 points and drew type 1. I had the type 9 tag first year they went to pp. I wouldn't go the type 9 again either. I bowhunted this year and saw a ton of big bulls. Went back for start of rifle and saw lot of smaller 6 points. Ended up with a 5 point Nov. 3rd.
I have 8 years getting to know unit with helping others and a cow tag 2 years ago. Made 4 trips there in 2013 between scouting and hunting. I won't draw again for 6 to 8 years but willing to help someone else that draws the unit. Even go so far as a scouting trip with them to pass on what I know. I don't see where I have much to lose by passing on info but maybe a lot to gain back from them. Still planning on hauling a 320 to 350 bull out of that unit before I can't walk up the mountains any more.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Great offer right there!!!

I was in 38 this year and was amazed at all the big expensive campers sitting everywhere with nobody staying in them

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I've got max points as does my son. I am watching 39 Type 9 pretty closely. It's hard to give up on the chase of the top 5 units or so, but it looks pretty interesting. If anyone has some info that will help tip the scale please PM me.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im really thinking about getting a leftover region Y deer tag and hunting unit 25/scouting 38 for elk since point creep seems to be ahead of my points in most directions and I dont think I will draw anything I would like to draw this coming year.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Musket Man,

When I drew my 38 tag I picked up a leftover deer tag for my youngest son and he came with. I was able to Elk hunt and him deer hunt and be right with me. He did not connect but we saw some decent bucks (no monsters) but he had a lot of fun. He knew the priority was Elk but it was fun for him to carry the bow and be with me. Mule deer numbers where there though as we saw lots and lots of them.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Thanks Don! good to hear it has a decent amount of deer. I wouldnt be holding out for a monster. I would be happy just too see some deer and elk and get to know the area a bit.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Im really thinking about getting a leftover region Y deer tag and hunting unit 25/scouting 38 for elk since point creep seems to be ahead of my points in most directions and I dont think I will draw anything I would like to draw this coming year.
That is my tentative plan for 2014, maybe we could work together. I hunted deer 33 and scouted a little bit of elk 34 but was not impressed but we had a lot of snow too.