WY doe/fawn tags - dumb question

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
This is probably a dumb question, as I think I have the WY draw odds figured out somewhat, but.....

Is the doe/fawn drawing completely separate from the type 1 tag draw? It seems that way since the fees and stuff are all different.

Meaning, drawing doe/fawn tags in a "first choice" unit as a type 6 doesn't burn your points. Seems obvious but wanted to check the experts.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Yes, completely different draws. You will not loose points in the reduced price doe/fawn draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Also, when you apply for doe tags, you can select whether or not you want the tag pending your full-price draw result.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Also, when you apply for doe tags, you can select whether or not you want the tag pending your full-price draw result.

I saw that on the app.

To that point. Is that why when you look at the demand stats there are soooo many more first choice applicants for the type 6 tags?

If so, are the odds for most type 6 tags quite a bit better than the demand stats look? As in, a lot of guys opt out of the doe tags if they don't draw their type 1 tags, and a lot of those "first choice applicants" fall off when the full price doesn't hit. If not, the demand for type 6 tags is pretty impressive.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I saw that on the app.

To that point. Is that why when you look at the demand stats there are soooo many more first choice applicants for the type 6 tags?

If so, are the odds for most type 6 tags quite a bit better than the demand stats look? As in, a lot of guys opt out of the doe tags if they don't draw their type 1 tags, and a lot of those "first choice applicants" fall off when the full price doesn't hit. If not, the demand for type 6 tags is pretty impressive.
I really don't know where to find that information. I would expect it to affect odds to some extent though, never thought about it before.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I removed the quote that was here due to the language.

Thanks guys.

Trent

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Does everyone talk, cuss and spell like you do where you come from? Welcome to the forum??

Last edited by a moderator:

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I would not think odds on doe/ fawn tags would be better than stated. While many opt out if they don't draw buck tags , many put in only for doe/fawn based on reduced price. Doe tags have been on a trend that not many , if any at all are left after the draw. Seems to me NR are pretty happy to come out and harvest doe whether or not they have buck tags. We used to be able to pick up doe/fawn tags pretty easily after the draw but not so much any more.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I bet leftovers will be slim to none this year, with the new leftover tag drawing process. If you want a tag, better put in for the draw.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
I can only see a handful (15-20) of units that have more type 6 tags than first choice applicants to even have leftovers. Most if not all have poor access and/or stipulations on proximity to irrigated land.

How easy is it to stay within the 1/2 mile of irrigated on public? Understanding that it can probably vary widely, but is it even possible.

We are considering 52, 63, 66, 73, 75, 77, 78, 89, and 106 for type 1 tags in 2018 with our points. These units look like the doe tag odds run from <10% to a max of 58%. Some of those have the restriction issues too. Also, how do you get two doe tags for any unit if there are more first choice applicants than tags?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
WY does not produce "odds reports", they are "demand reports" and in the case of reduced doe/fawn they are significantly different than odds. You can apply for two reduced price tags and that data is not broken out nor reflected in the demand report.

"Also, how do you get two doe tags for any unit if there are more first choice applicants than tags?"

select "2" from the tag drop down box

Last edited:

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
WY does not produce "odds reports", they are "demand reports" and in the case of reduced doe/fawn they are significantly different than odds. You can apply for two reduced price tags and that data is not broken out nor reflected in the demand report.
Yes, I misspoke in the last post. I'm trying to get a sense for how these type 6 draws actually go since the demand reports are exactly that and don't account for a bunch of factors. If the odds end up being a lot easier than the demand implies I may change where we try to hunt does.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I understand that you can only apply for ONE reduced price doe/fawn tag in the initial draw, and have to buy an additional one later.
I haven't seen anything about that changing; I've already put in for my Type-6 tags, and the system let me apply (and charged me) for 2.