WY antelope seasons, MRS vs. WGFD tentatives; When are dates finalized by WGFD?

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
I realize that both Eastman's MRS and WGFD dates shown as "tentative". When are they made final and posted on WGFD? Before the May 31 application deadline I assume.

Specifically have the seasons been pushed later by a week in 63 and 62 compared to "normal" ? Eastman's MRS shows starting of Sept. 15 and Sept. 8. WGFD has shown for several months, Sept. 21 and Sept. 14.

It has been several years since we hunted WY antelope, and I have not kept up on the season dates from year to year in those areas.

Thanks much for any info you can provide.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
Thanks. That looks like the info I needed. I remember a similar "draft" document years ago, with the changes crossed out and in red. I just could not find it this time. I guess my 70 years have slowed my brain some. So is this the final changes recommended to some "higher authority", probably still needs final approval but pretty reliable I assume?

Interesting that in the units I mentioned, the dates are starting 1 week later than previous year, yet they increased quota on one of the units. No change on ending season dates. I don't see why the idea to decrease days, yet increase quota to put more even more hunting pressure in a shorter time frame!!?? I am not the expert, just a hunter; kind of leaves me scratching my head a bit.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I don't think anything is final until the meeting they have scheduled on April 23-24. But I don't think there will be many changes for antelope. I'm guessing the change of the opening date was mostly to move it to a Saturday.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
I don't think anything is final until the meeting they have scheduled on April 23-24. But I don't think there will be many changes for antelope. I'm guessing the change of the opening date was mostly to move it to a Saturday.
True, everything is final after the April Commission meeting.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Season setting meeting are happening right now across the state, those posted regs will likely not change . We will get some info on winter and how animals are fairly at the meetings.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Welcome to the forum Daybreak. I see you've been a member since 2012, but never saw you interact prior with your low post count.
Hang around a'bit. I'm sure you've got some stories to share from the past 70 years.
Love to hear about some old hunts as we all wait out the draw season. :eek:

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
Thanks Bonecollector & other replies; yes I am pretty scarce on the forum. Every few years myself and friend and son try to get a decent antelope tag in Wyoming, & that usually prompts some questions. Even though I do not post much, I am grateful that folks answer me anyway.

In Wyoming, that is the extent of our hunting. Have taken elk in CO with muzzleloader about 15 years ago, plus some antelope hunts in CO and NM. Most hunting now is whitetail on our Iowa farms.

I have been blessed in earlier years to do some hunting in BC and Alaska, which were my lifetime dreams.

This WY antelope thing has been frustrating. I farm, and an early start to the season is vital. Then the whole P point thing complicates it again; this year they pushed season to a later start, yet increased the quota, as I mentioned. Looks screwy thinking to me, I do not see the point....if they want to harvest more antelope, then why shorten the season?

Take care all, and good luck on draws.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
We can't draw a 62-1 or 63-1; the "dash-2 in 63 we can draw. The "dash 2" in 62 we are on the edge on points, decent chance.

We had a great hunt probably 8-10 years ago in 63, in what is now 63-1. The point creep then became way more than "creep" the next few years. Did not hunt on the east side, in what is now 63-2, but saw plenty of antelope over there as I recall.