WY antelope areas 62-1, 67, 80

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011
Hello
Doing our research for 2014 and where I figure we could likely draw, and also give decent land access as well. By no means engraved in stone but I have things narrowed down to 62-1, 67, and 80. Anyone familiar with and able to provide any feedback on these areas? Other zones I haven't listed but should be considering?
Thanks.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I would wait to see how the rest of the winter and early spring goes and wait for the MRS to come out. Alot could change between now and app time. How many points do you have?

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011
We are sitting at 5.67 points when our group points are averaged. As a side note it has been a pile of years since, but in the past we've hunted 75 and 92.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
With 5+ points you guys should be able to draw a very good unit and I think any unit that takes 5 points to draw will have good access/amount of public land. Drawing odds are usually closely related to access. I havent hunted the units you mentioned but its hard to have a bad antelope hunt in WY in any unit with 1/2 decent access.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
We are sitting at 5.67 points when our group points are rounded. As a side note it has been a pile of years since, but in the past we've hunted 75 and 92.
***Wyoming doesn't round PPs. I assume you meant averaged, rather that rounded. 77 is a much better unit than 80 IMHO unless the weather hits them and I think it has been a decent winter so far up there.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
***Wyoming doesn't round PPs. I assume you meant averaged, rather that rounded. 77 is a much better unit than 80 IMHO unless the weather hits them and I think it has been a decent winter so far up there.
Between 62 and 67 I would pick 67. I don't know much about the others . . .

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011
Correct, I meant averaged. Thanks for the info. Any specific reasons for picking 77?

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I dont think you would be unhappy with 67 at all. I would hunt it but I never seem to have the patience to save that many points or the money for the special draw. LOL

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
Appreciate the reply. Any specific reasons for picking 67 over 62? Thanks again.
Numbers are not what they used to be in 62. I hunted it in 2009 and areas where I used to see many antelope I only saw a few. The biologist has created the type 2 to take some pressure off of the areas with few antelope, which traditionally have been in the type 1 area. I think you will find more goats in 67.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
***I assume you meant than, rather than that.
Yep, thanks as it was just a typo! You live pretty close to 77, so what is your feelings on that unit? Am I in the ballpark, or did I just happen to be in a few places where the goats happened to be at the time. I know your buddy TikkaMike mentioned on another website that he favors the units down toward Shoshoni and Riverton over those near where you live both for quantity and quality of bucks.

Last edited:

HunterNW

Jul 13, 2013
I hunted 80 last year. I had max points but split them to take my dad on his first antelope hunt. I was dissapointed initally with the numbers but the first antelope I saw on opening morning was in the high 70's with small forks on the ends of his prongs and some character points. Not a bad first antelope. Dad dropped the hammer on him. Although a "no no" to shoot the first buck you see when antelope hunting, had I not had my dad with me, I would have gladly filled my tag with that one! I passed a nice buck the evening of opening day that was following a heard of a hand full of does that had a great buck with them. I ran out of daylight on the big buck and had plenty of time to shoot the smaller buck (mid 70's). In retrospect, I probably should have shot him but I was close to getting a shot at the better buck. The next morning (day 2) I shot a 74" antelope that I think was a touch smaller than the buck I passed. This was only my second antelope but one thing I can say is the antelope seemed to have great mass measurments in this area especially above the prong. My main focus was to get dad a good first antelope and for me to hopefully shoot a 75" buck. I missed it by an inch. Maybe next time! I will say that although the hunt worked out great, the public land available to hunt did not seem to hold that many antelope. They were certainly there to be had but you really have to narrow down your search to what seemed to be a few key areas. This is definately not a hunt where you will see piles of antelope everyplace If you choose to hunt this area, talk the game wardens. They were a big help for me. One last thing....after we tagged out, we took a few days to just camp and relax. During this time we still went out to look for antelope from time to time. While doing so, we ran accross a huge buck that no doubt went 80+ inches and probably in the 16" neighborhood.