Wy 108

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Just have a couple access questions with regards to unit 108. Eastmans rates 108 with 70% public land, poor access, but then gives it a "B" grade for access. an "F" grade for pressure. Not sure how that all adds up? Is there good or bad access to the unit?

I have a couple antelope points and just looking for a fun hunt where I see some goats. Not really looking to kill a big buck. Taking a 9 year old that wants to get into hunting, so just trying to keep it fun for him. Appreciate the insight.

Thanks,

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
There is a lot of private land in that area. Not sure exactly of the antelope unit specifically as it is a little different but the deer and elk units in that area are tough to hunt because of private and that area gets a lot of traffic and people for many reasons. You could probably get it done without too much hassle but most of the better animals will be on private and only accessible to the outfitter down there.

hoshour

Veteran member
I understand why that could be confusing. The B grade for access comes from the 70% public land, which is pretty decent. However, a lot of the unit is checkerboarded which makes accessing the public land difficult. I'll think about relabeling that access grade.

The pressure grade is not related to access. It works off the hunters per 100 square miles, which is really high and says you'll have a lot of company.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I've hunted antelope in 108 several times and know it quite well. It is mostly "private" ground since many of the BLM sections are surrounded by ranches in the checkerboard making access to them impossible...so they might as well be considered private. The accessible sections are where most of the hunters will be concentrated.

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
This unit should be listed as limited access, it is deceiving on a map, but on the ground not much is accessible and the ground that is gets hammered.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I have decided to take my 2 points and apply for unit 74 in the special draw. Seems like a lot more public land with less pressure.