Would you rather?!

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hello all, I was fortunate enough to draw a Wyoming general elk tag for 2021. Before I drew I was dead set on hunting unit 10 near Laramie. After drawing the tag and doing a lot of research I found out I can hunt a few different units up near Jackson Wyoming during the later part of the rut. This interests me very much as I don't think there is much better thing to do than chase bugling bulls with a rifle. My concern is, I have never been to this area. I contacted the area biologist and he made it sound like there is definitely a possibility of having a great hunt, but I think that is also true for the area I was planning on hunting near Laramie. I pretty much have my mind made up to go to Jackson, But figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had experience that would steer me the other way. Thanks for any input and good luck this fall!

Last edited:

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
are those areas near Jackson wilderness?

what are the different season dates?

you going DIY I assume... vs guided?

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
The place I'm considering is in unit 84 out of wilderness. The season opens sept 26th. Yes I am going DIY without horses. Which is going to be a lot of work in that area I assume.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
the hard part is getting your elk out. without stock to get the whole elk out quickly, every trip back with a backpack has a pretty good chance of having a grizzly on it, near jackson. just something to think about.

Reactions: TN911

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
there are grizz in 84 when i was there a few years ago,,,didnt get a elk that year,good looking country though,,just gotta work fast if ya get a elk down and be bear aware.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
there are grizz in 84 when i was there a few years ago,,,didnt get a elk that year,good looking country though,,just gotta work fast if ya get a elk down and be bear aware.
Ya I think the country looks awesome but all I can see is Google earth so far. Did you see some elk? I will definitely take the advice. Haven't hunted in griz country yet but will be prepared

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have hunted elk in the Gros Ventre Wilderness (guided), and would have had zero chance of getting an elk out without horses. I have hunted and packed out deer in H, which encompasses this area, and again would not consider shooting an elk on a DIY hunt. Much of the land along the river and road are private, and places to stay near Jackson are some of the most expensive in the west. If you can spend some time on a scouting trip, then do so, but I think you should go with what you know.

Reactions: buckbull

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
I have hunted elk in the Gros Ventre Wilderness (guided), and would have had zero chance of getting an elk out without horses. I have hunted and packed out deer in H, which encompasses this area, and again would not consider shooting an elk on a DIY hunt. Much of the land along the river and road are private, and places to stay near Jackson are some of the most expensive in the west. If you can spend some time on a scouting trip, then do so, but I think you should go with what you know.
Thank you for this info. Could you not pack the elk out due to terrain or other reasons? The land I plan to hunt has a good looking trail head I plan to camp at, so the expense of Jackson doesn't bother me. Had you seen any elk in this area on your deer hunt in H?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
TN911,

I notice things. I dont pay much attention to them but nevertheless...

For instance, I notice that you offer little to the forum and mostly ask a lot of questions very specific about specific units for the world to see....its kinda annoying.

Could you not do this by PM so every unit or area you ask about isn't blabbed all over the internet? You haven't ruined my intended area yet but I am sure you are making a lot of people squirm...

Where are good access points?
What units are you guys hunting?
Who is going where?

I'm proud to see some people trying to help you (constantly and yearly from what I have noticed) but your the most "incognito internet scouter" I have ever witnesses on any forum.

Clearly it works for you.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
TN911,

I notice things. I dont pay much attention to them but nevertheless...

For instance, I notice that you offer little to the forum and mostly ask a lot of questions very specific about specific units for the world to see....its kinda annoying.

Could you not do this by PM so every unit or area you ask about isn't blabbed all over the internet? You haven't ruined my intended area yet but I am sure you are making a lot of people squirm...

Where are good access points?
What units are you guys hunting?
Who is going where?

I'm proud to see some people trying to help you (constantly and yearly from what I have noticed) but your the most "incognito internet scouter" I have ever witnesses on any forum.

Clearly it works for you.
I didn't realize I was ruining any area you or anyone else on the forum had intended to hunt! I am simply a non resident using every resource possible to better my chances at success on my hunts. I also E-scout daily and contact several area biologist asking the same questions I am asking you guys.

May I ask why I am ruining areas? I have gotten a lot of good info from fellow members that I do not share for the public to see. If anyone feels the need to "hide" the info they give me they can freely PM me.

To be honest, you jacking this thread saying I am a threat to fellow hunters is "kind of annoying"

I would offer more to this forum and do when I have experience to back up the info I give, But I'm not an experienced western hunter. So elk and mule deer advice from me would come with little weight. Again, I'm sorry you feel this way about my "incognito internet scouter ways" but I am just trying to better my chances. As we all are.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Begging for information CONSTANTLY AND PUBLICLY is the wrong way to go about things IMHO. This is 100% what you do and contribute next to nothing to any Internet forum you are a part of.

But like I said, clearly it works for you. To the point actually where I dont even know how you could possibly hunt all of the places you have asked about. Go back and look at all of your posts....seriously...its enough information to last a serious hunter a lifetime. lol

Sorry to interrupt your “e-scouting for the world to see session”.

You may proceed.

Last edited:

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Begging for information CONSTANTLY AND PUBLICLY is the wrong way to go about things IMHO. This is 100% what you do and contribute next to nothing to any Internet forum you are a part of.

But like I said, clearly it works for you. To the point actually where I dont even know how you could possibly hunt all of the places you have asked about. Go back and look at all of your posts....seriously...its enough information to last a serious hunter a lifetime. lol

You may proceed.

You may proceed.
Ya I can see your point. But I thought I was being broad enough with the area mentioned here for it to not ruin anyone's spot. It was a pretty general question.

I ask about alot of areas because I don't enjoy hunting the same area year after year. The anticipation and experience of a new spot is my favorite part of the Hunt. Thanks for your opinion tho

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

You may proceed.
Maybe you should take your own advise and have addressed him about this in a PM.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I ask about alot of areas because I don't enjoy hunting the same area year after year. The anticipation and experience of a new spot is my favorite part of the Hunt. Thanks for your opinion tho
I have found that part of my enjoyment of the outdoors is finding and learning new areas, it is part of the hunting experience. I know hunters who have never hunted any other locations other than one spot.

I have gone into new areas completely blind as far as what to expect. I have also burned a lot of gas getting to know the roads around these area and then boot leather on the ground to get to know them better. I have also learned that most people won't tell you too much about these areas since it took them years to learn the area themselves and don't want to let out too much information and they expect for the new to the area hunter to learn it by themselves.

When someone usually asks me about a area I'll let them know the roads, closest towns and such but that is about it especially if I am hunting the unit. And if it took me a while to draw a tag for that hunt I might not even tell them that much.

Reactions: Mnbogboy and TN911

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
As is stands right now, it will take 5 years (4 pts. plus the application year) to draw a WY GEN elk tag. I would suggest that before hunting a new area it is a good idea to consider a trip or two to look it over. I have hunted deer in H 4 times before my 2020 hunt, and during a family trip I took a couple days for an overnight backtrack trip to check out a new drainage. Thank God that I did so rather than just relying on Google Earth, as it was found to be not a place where I would ever want to shoot anything, no matter how big it was.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
As is stands right now, it will take 5 years (4 pts. plus the application year) to draw a WY GEN elk tag. I would suggest that before hunting a new area it is a good idea to consider a trip or two to look it over. I have hunted deer in H 4 times before my 2020 hunt, and during a family trip I took a couple days for an overnight backtrack trip to check out a new drainage. Thank God that I did so rather than just relying on Google Earth, as it was found to be not a place where I would ever want to shoot anything, no matter how big it was.
Thanks for the tip! I am wanting to try to fly out there in august to check out the area. If I don't get to go on a scouting trip, I will pack my bow along for the trip in September and if Jackson is a total bust, I'll buy an archery stamp and hunt the area I am more familiar with down around Laramie

Reactions: Mnbogboy