Workout Recovery Secrets?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Do any of you have any recovery secrets/hacks?

Sometimes when I try to push it, I end up paying for it, forced rest...

Other times I'd like to workout but end up being too sore and think rest is in order.

I'm pretty good about listening to my body and not getting injured, but it would be nice to workout more.

I'm sure I'm fighting aging and simply trying to get in better shape...

I try to avoid advil etc... unless I really need it.

Kind of thinking I just need to stick with it and stay consistent and slowly but surely things should improve.

things are going pretty well overall though, have been pretty consistent for a couple of years now.

I probably should improve my diet, I tend to eat bad, and healthy at the same time, ha.

thanks for any tips/tricks that work for you, and good luck to all!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
HM,
I'm not a dietician nor was I formally educated in the subject. What works for me. 49 year old fairly active guy.

As you eluded to a solid foundation makes a huge difference. Knowing what macros you should be consuming in a day is a big part of that. Sticking to it is another. Regardless I think it sets a solid base and greatly speeds recovery.

My routine is a preworkout drink with a BCAA scoop, during the workout hydrate with a cardio enhancer, then post workout a drink with 2% milk and whey protein ensuring I get a min of 35g of protein within 30 min of the workout ending. Post that drink and before a shower I roll out my legs, arms, back as much as possible

Banana daily for potassium, glucosamine and a multivitamin round out my daily routine.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
pickle juice works really well for cramping.

How many times a week are you working out and for how long? That will dictate the course of action. IT might be you need a recovery drink after your work out, or you might just need to get in better shape. So a little more info on the amount of working out and the type and length.

DU4LIFE25

Sep 24, 2015
Wisconsin
I get the same way when I workout and push myself too far. I end up puking and feel like total garbage for a few hours later. I'd rather be hungover than feel like that. I was told to have a preworkout drink, eat some gummies or something a little sugary during my workout and then have a post workout recovery drink when done. I'm pretty sure the gummies aren't real good for me either.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Sleep, Water, Fish Oil, Plain Baked Potatoes (loaded with more potassium than bananas) or Bananas are an inexpensive way to combat some of your issues.
Of course the pre/post workout drinks can help. However, be very wary of which you choose as many are simply loaded with sugar. You have to pay for the good stuff. When I competed, I drank them, now I do not. Eating healthy and getting enough sleep and water intake will cure 75% of your issues after you get through your initial body "break-in period" of exercising.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
The best thing to do is keep working out. Work out minimum 4 times a week. Taking time off will not make you better.

Don't take advil it stops the muscle building in your body.

Pick a good workout program and stick with it. If you have injuries modify lifts. Keep good form.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Yuengling.

It may or may not help build muscle. But I guarantee you that If you drink enough of them it will help you forget most of the pain. lol

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
In my worthless opinion......if you need "recovery" you are doing it wrong. Guys think they need to shred themselves and then recover, they are totally missing the entire point. If you can do 10 push-ups without pain, do 10 every day until you can do 11.

Joe Rogan has a great podcast on this subject, it's about volume. I have run over 1,000 miles at over 8 mph this year and I would not even consider doing a marathon, even though I have done them before.

Good luck buddy.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I don't think this is the issue considering the OP, but on this thread I'll still throw it out for other readers. (Hope this is ok)

Physical fitness is always extremely helpful but mental Toughness is key. Before you pull the trigger always have a plan to get an animal out. Before you go into an area always have a plan to get an animal out. Before you decide to hunt an are have a plan to get yourself and an animal out. Basically always have a plan. Situations are less complicated when they are pre-planned instead of improvised. Yes I'm speaking from experience.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
In my worthless opinion......if you need "recovery" you are doing it wrong. Guys think they need to shred themselves and then recover, they are totally missing the entire point. If you can do 10 push-ups without pain, do 10 every day until you can do 11.

Joe Rogan has a great podcast on this subject, it's about volume. I have run over 1,000 miles at over 8 mph this year and I would not even consider doing a marathon, even though I have done them before.

Good luck buddy.
I saw that podcast recently actually, made A LOT of sense., definitely truth to that method I think.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I don't think this is the issue considering the OP, but on this thread I'll still throw it out for other readers. (Hope this is ok)

Physical fitness is always extremely helpful but mental Toughness is key. Before you pull the trigger always have a plan to get an animal out. Before you go into an area always have a plan to get an animal out. Before you decide to hunt an are have a plan to get yourself and an animal out. Basically always have a plan. Situations are less complicated when they are pre-planned instead of improvised. Yes I'm speaking from experience.
agreed, I'm not sure it's me, I don't think it's add, but thinking about every possible situation I tend to... and then something will happen in the news etc... and people will say who would have thought about that happening? or you're never prepared for that situation, and I think... well you should be! of course stuff does happen, but being ready certainly can only help!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Seems like it all depends what the goals are. Lose weight, then put on muscle, haul elk size loads, hunt from a quad and only go to a stand 100 yards away......etc etc. Regardless of the hunting style......recovering like a pro athlete won't hurt anyone and 9 times out of 10 help. We as sportsman can learn a lot from sportsmedicine and recovery techniques. When I started to add a more detailed post workout plan tailored to my needs.....I got increased measurable returns.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Sleep, Water, Fish Oil, Plain Baked Potatoes (loaded with more potassium than bananas) or Bananas are an inexpensive way to combat some of your issues.
Of course the pre/post workout drinks can help. However, be very wary of which you choose as many are simply loaded with sugar. You have to pay for the good stuff. When I competed, I drank them, now I do not. Eating healthy and getting enough sleep and water intake will cure 75% of your issues after you get through your initial body "break-in period" of exercising.
Thanks BC for the sugar reminder. Totally forgot about that and that's the first thing I look at. Also thanks for the baked potato comment/potassium plug. I got away from that just because I can't get them at work. Need to figure out how to insert them back. Thanks again.