Wolverine sighting Antelope Park, Ut

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
I was very surprised to see this story last week and video of a wolverine on Antelope Island of all places.

Would be interesting to see were this wolverine came from and how far it traveled.

I remember in 2014 when a wolverine was pictured on a game camera in the Uinta's and the news coverage that came with it. As the Uinta's are a high mountain wilderness area a wolverine showing up there while rare, makes sense.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
cool. I have only seen one once . here in idaho . middle of winter on a very gray day.

they are around but seldom seen.

??????? is antelope island not an actual island? if it is how did it get there? I've always wanted to hunt there also, it probly hired a coyote to smuggle him in!!!! ;)

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Antelope Island is a island when the GSL has more water in it but now it is more like a promontory than a island.

I was thinking that the wolverine may of followed the Bear or Weber River down until it hit the shores of the GSL.

I read one article about it on FB and people were saying that they had seen one all over the state of Utah and multiple sightings. I think that most have no idea of what one looks like and when they see a rodent cross the road think that it is anything besides what it is.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
??????? is antelope island not an actual island? if it is how did it get there? I've always wanted to hunt there also, it probly hired a coyote to smuggle him in!!!! ;)
[/QUOTE]

As Jim mentioned the varying water level of the Great Salt Lake in his post. With low water levels you can walk/wade out to Antelope Island without too much trouble other then some muddy feet.

I too would love to hunt on Antelope Island, in particular the Mule Deer. Might be one of the most coveted/ hardest to draw tags anywhere.
Unless you got a couple hundred thousand for the Auction and Conservation Permit which went for $285,000 this year. In the past its gone as high as $410,000. o_O

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Should also note that on the deer hunt out there is that there are only 2 tags issued. One for a resident that is drawn in the draws and one for the biggest bidder as KHSRanger mentioned. I believe that Denny Austed paid $430,000 for the first Conservation Permit which was offered a number of years ago.

As the story went on his hunt he shot a deer that the Utah resident hunter wanted and the Utah resident shot the one that Austed wanted, so they swapped heads. As the story goes..

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
as soon as I read jimps post this popped in my mind.................. :LOL:

This woman goes into a funeral home to make arrangements for her husband's funeral. She tells the undertaker that she wants her husband to be buried in a dark blue suit. He asks, "Wouldn't it just be easier to bury him in the black suit that he's wearing?"
"No," she insists as she hands him a check to buy one. "It must be blue."

When she comes back for the wake, she sees her husband in the coffin and he is wearing a beautiful blue suit. She tells the director how much she loves the suit and asks how much it cost.

He says, "Actually, it didn't cost anything. The funniest thing happened. As soon as you left, another corpse was brought in, this one wearing a blue suit. I noticed that they were about the same size, and asked the other widow if she would mind if her husband were buried in a black suit. She said that was fine with her... So I switched the heads."

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
That's pretty cool. Wolverine are awesome. I've tracked them by airplane and you can about run out of gas before finding them. Real travelers!
I've seen a fair number of them but have never been able to get a shot at one. I've lived in some pretty good wolverine country but they can sure be hard to find on demand!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I've seen one Wolverine in the Crazy Mountains and, on a guided hunt in the Frank Church the camp cook had one take over the bear bait he was maintaining for us. He seen it several times but we never did. Really cool animals.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I asked my outfitter about them when I was on my grizzly hunt up in the southern portion of British Columbia and he told me that it had been a very long time since he had seen one in the area we were hunting. And we were 23 miles back into a wilderness.

We didn't even see any wolves but we found a few remains of moose where they had taken one down.