Wolf quota set in MT

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Montana FWP has tenatively set the statewide quota for wolves in MT at 220 for 2011. That is supposedly about 35-40% of the statewide population. If we hunters do our part and fill the quota, that should be a good start in slowing down the problem. Resident tags will be $19 OTC. Non-resident $350 OTC.

Maybe not the optimum solution for hunters, but we are headed in the right direction.

brudno

Feb 21, 2011
Wisconsin
How generous of MT to let non-residents take care of there wolf problem for only $350. I guess the wolf problem isn't that bad in MT after all seeing as how badly they want to limit tags.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
well at that price, Im not headin over to help....hope you Montana boys can step up and fill that state quota!!! Im rooting for ya from here.

HuntinMontucky

Feb 21, 2011
I dont think Montanans will have a problem filling that quota, I know I will do my part! We had some skirt our camp Friday night, close enough to get the horses worked up then Sunday morning we woke to them howling just up the ridge from us, Im itching to pull the trigger on one!

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well I know as a resident here at $11.50 its hard to make that call with all the dogs we have here. In 09 I waited till the late part of the hunt and snow pack kept me out of the good hunting grounds.
I know where they are now, and how to call em in....hard part is how to hunt.... BOW or RIFLE.
I would only hunt with a bow, cow calling them in if a friend had a rifle beaded on the bugger the whole time. Specially being they run in packs..wouldnt want the rath of a ticked off pack.
In 09 some buddies of mine were out muzzle loader hunting, hit a wolf, and the next morning they all woke up at 5am to the sounds of the other pack members growling and surrounding their wall tent.
Hair raising moment.