Wisconsin

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hey guys, Have any of you hunted public land in Wisconsin with a rifle for deer? A friend of mine and I are looking into going next year. There is tons of public land and the non-resident tag prices are very inviting. Thanks for ANY info!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Rusk and Taylor county for least amount of wolves, good deer populations. North of Hayward more wolves, less deer. Personally know guys who still hunt there and kill some really nice bucks, but very few deer seen during the season.

Wisconsin probably still has one of the best bang for the buck for a NR as far as price is concerned.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Rusk and Taylor county for least amount of wolves, good deer populations. North of Hayward more wolves, less deer. Personally know guys who still hunt there and kill some really nice bucks, but very few deer seen during the season.

Wisconsin probably still has one of the best bang for the buck for a NR as far as price is concerned.
Thank you for the Info, Do you know anything about the southern part of the state around the Wisconsin river? Looks like good habitat around there but not near the amount of public land.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I don't know much other than Buffalo county gets pounded due to the genetics in that area. I would say that a small buck to 120" buck is what your most likely going to find in the areas I told you about.

Reactions: TN911

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Thank you for the Info, Do you know anything about the southern part of the state around the Wisconsin river? Looks like good habitat around there but not near the amount of public land.
Check out the Wisconsin DN
Check out the Wisconsin DNR web site for more information about public lands at https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/ . Pick a county and use the search feature. It will show you every piece of public land in the county including acreage, maps, directions to park etc. In the public lands around the Wisconsin River you will find lots of deer and lots of hunters. Statewide, Wisconsin has 6 million acres of public land, 2 million whitetails and about 640,000 hunters. You can buy a buck tag on line, and most counties will also have one or more bonus doe tags included with your buck tag. Wisconsin is the land of whitetail opportunity but you will have plenty of company in the southern and central counties. Lots of room to roam "up north" but lower deer densities.

Reactions: TN911 and dan maule

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Check out the Wisconsin DN

Check out the Wisconsin DNR web site for more information about public lands at https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/ . Pick a county and use the search feature. It will show you every piece of public land in the county including acreage, maps, directions to park etc. In the public lands around the Wisconsin River you will find lots of deer and lots of hunters. Statewide, Wisconsin has 6 million acres of public land, 2 million whitetails and about 640,000 hunters. You can buy a buck tag on line, and most counties will also have one or more bonus doe tags included with your buck tag. Wisconsin is the land of whitetail opportunity but you will have plenty of company in the southern and central counties. Lots of room to roam "up north" but lower deer densities.
Thanks for the info, I might try to find a lease in that area then. If all else fails ill hunt with some company!

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Id recommend heading north of Phillips and hunt the Chequagaman National Forest. Hunted it for 21 years until wolves and bears got too bad and deer numbers were down, i have friends who still hunt it and they say the deer numbers are back and its large tracts of land for you to roam. Just my 2 cents. Luke

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Id recommend heading north of Phillips and hunt the Chequagaman National Forest. Hunted it for 21 years until wolves and bears got too bad and deer numbers were down, i have friends who still hunt it and they say the deer numbers are back and its large tracts of land for you to roam. Just my 2 cents. Luke
Thanks Luke, Is that pretty steep ? Any crop land up there? I will check it out on ONX.