Winter's Affect on Horn Growth in Unit 64?

7magman

Feb 21, 2011
I have max points and have wanted to hunt 64 for quite awhile. I was disappointed the Huntin Fool has it at No. 1 this year, but that's how it goes. This question is directed at folks in Lander and that area.
Has the winter been severe enough to affect top horn growth in 64 so far this year?

PS. Guy and the staff, I think a winter weather update on facebook would be great for members. Not just winterkill, but how it's going to affect horn growth for the various states/species.

bullbuster

Feb 21, 2011
Soldotna, AK
Unfortunately, the non-res draw deadline comes before the spring moisture data is in. It's a crap shoot, but whadaya gonna do? I'm trying for 78 this year, hopefully Huntin Fool didn't target it. We're our own worst enemy sometimes.

7magman

Feb 21, 2011
I'll wait right until the deadline and make a choice then. I have calls into the unit 64 biologist and game warden. The snow is good moisture for the spring growth. It's just that antelope are starting to grow horns now. If it's hard crusty snow they can struggle.
I've got quite a few 76-79 inch goats from South Dakota where I grew up, but looking for that all-time book goat.
The late spring storms are what can kill a lot of antelope, but at this time I'm just looking at the winter's affect on horn growth.
That's the problem with max points, a guy gets greedy and wants a great hunt out of them.
I think anymore a guy should just pick a good unit and go have a fun hunt and not chase the super units.

Attachments

bullbuster

Feb 21, 2011
Soldotna, AK
I agree. I'm trying for one of the Holy Grail units in CO (13 points) this fall, and have overblown expectations. After I draw that hunt, I'll stick to WY, MT and ID, hunt every year or two, hope for Booners, but settle for less, and enjoy. If you're using a 7mag on goats, have you ever tried Berger VLDs? They shoot like a champ out of mine.

killz

Feb 24, 2011
7magman you really want an update on the weather? are you kidding me? dont you think the ppl at eastmans have more important things to do than track the weather for you come on.

Attachments

7magman

Feb 21, 2011
Killz, it's not a weather update.
It's a question about how the winter/snow conditions are affecting antelope herds, winter range and horn growth. Guy has posted a few of these already, just for your information. So I guess Guy doesn't have better things to do.
I pay for a subsciption and that's one of the things that's been done in the past.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
7mag- that's a good idea. I will pass that along to the other guys here at the office. Wyoming's draw deadlines for NRs area so early it makes it tough to manage. But I will see what I can do, to have someone cook something up for the website or FB. As for area 64, it is a very good unit. Not the top unit, but definitely one of the best. So far the winter out there has been cold and lots of snow, but they have not noticed any winter kill yet. Antelope horn growth is very, very hard to predict, unlike deer and elk. They grow during the winter with what forbes was left on the ground from last year's summer growing season. I think just based on that, the antelope should be as good or better than ever as long as we don't get hammered with spring storms. I'm sure no matter what happens, short of a catastrophe you should be able to take a good buck out there this fall. I hope this helps. Good luck in the draw.

Mike

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
I like to add to Guy's post to 7mag. In the winter, bucks grow the prong and then the horn above the prong. That top growth splits the men for the boys when it comes to a trophy buck. Its usually hard for them to put on that heavy mass and long prongs during a bad winter. Most antelope winter kill comes the last part of the winter like in March and April. On the high deserts we can have a snow melt in January or sometimes in March which will help the little guys make it thru the winter. But those spring storms that dump 2 plus feet of wet snow will put the old bucks down for the count. So hang on, we will know more come mid-April on the antelope winter kill issue.
In my new book Hunting Trophy Antelope DIY, I have a whole section on horn growth. Its good to know because bucks grow horns different then a big horn sheep. Saying that, when it comes to scouting, it's to your advantage to know how, when and what time of the year they quite growing the head gear. Good Luck Mike Eastman

Last edited:

7magman

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for the response both Guy and Mike. I have the book and in fact was just reading it tonight. I'll wait a few more days to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on using my max points.
I don't know if the forums will bring in a ton of new subscribers, but it will definitely keep retention rates up. I know I'll re-up when my subscription is up just because of this new resource.
Thanks again.

Mike

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks 7mag are goal is help you with hunting and taking trophy western big game. Good luck in the draw and let me know how you do this fall. Mike