Wilderness horse back hunt

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Intrested in a guided pack in type hunt, don't really care for what animal. More just want the whole wilderness guided hunt/camp experience. Any suggestions or outfitter recommendations?

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I really enjoyed my trip to the Frank Church wilderness. We went with Elk Springs Outfitters from McCall. Not sure what there status is as it’s been about 10 years.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’m doing a backcountry elk hunt in Wyoming with horses and wall tents with Shoshone Outfitters. Burning 14 points for elk.

Im really looking forward to this bucket list hunt!

They may be able to do the same for you.

Reactions: Wyoming Hart

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I want the whole guided hunt experience, i need to research more on a combo cow / deer hunt in Idaho. What i don't want is ride in day 1 kill day 2 ride out day 3. For me this is about hunt camp and the whole trip more then kill. The riding and glassing, sitting around the wood stove and being able to enjoy my time in the woods.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been on a bunch of these type of hunts (probably 20 to 25) in my 80 years, I have lost count. The one that the absolute best adventure was to Thorofare in the Teton Wilderness area in Wyoming. Stayed 6 nights and a 33+ mile horseback ride to get to camp.

If you want to know more details, PM me.

Reactions: nv-hunter

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I want the whole guided hunt experience, i need to research more on a combo cow / deer hunt in Idaho. What i don't want is ride in day 1 kill day 2 ride out day 3. For me this is about hunt camp and the whole trip more then kill. The riding and glassing, sitting around the wood stove and being able to enjoy my time in the woods.
Something to consider for Idaho, is location for sure. Just because you ride horses in doesn’t mean you’ll do a lot of hunting off of them because it’s so steep, so you’ll still need to be in good shape. Most hunts are 6-10 days depending on who and how you book it. Even if you tag first day hunting, you can usually fish or pick up a bear or wolf tag and look for one of them.

Reactions: nv-hunter

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Thanks im good at down hill but uphill not so much anymore. I just started the research process so im looking at all options. I have no points except for Nevada and ill pass on griz country.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
My vote would almost have to be Wyoming wilderness as a nonresident because of the restriction. Idaho you can hunt wilderness areas without a guide, so Wyoming wilderness would be hard to pass up. If you got any questions about Idaho, don’t be afraid to ask.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Having no points will make this search much more problematic. You could book a hunt in an OTC hunt in CO, which is what I did on my first guided hunt. In WY, a elk NR GEN tag took <4pts in 2021, and the tags in the G & H deer areas have gotten so tough to draw that I will never get there again. Unit wide landowner tags could be an option, but will require some $.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
A little about the last hunt I did in Thorofare.

Hunters stayed in nice wall tents, 2 to a tent (hunting partners with one guide). Tents had a nice wood burning stove that the Campjack started every morning at 4:30. Breakfast at 5:00. Sack lunches ready also. Leave camp around 5:30 on horseback with your guide. Rode to hunting area and picketed horses. Hiked to hunting area. It varied from 5 minutes to a half hour. Usually out all day until dark. Back to camp for dinner and a campfire. Usually in bed before 10:00 each night.

Food was excellent and everything was done well. This is typical for most wilderness horseback packin hunts.

Hunting can be a crapshoot, so do your homework. Ask for references (both successful & unsuccessful clients). Usually they will only give you names of clients who will give a good rating.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.38231

Last edited:

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I’m doing a backcountry elk hunt in Wyoming with horses and wall tents with Shoshone Outfitters. Burning 14 points for elk.

Im really looking forward to this bucket list hunt!

They may be able to do the same for you.
You should have a great time and hunt IKC. That crew is a ball to be around.

nv-hunter, they have a mule deer hunt for auction at the Sheep Show, if you would be interested.