Wild Skies Cabins Elk Hunt GMU 12????

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
We are looking to fly into Colorado next fall for a unit 12 archery hunt and have found the Wild Skies Cabins which are located in the flat tops. Does anyone have any experience bow hunting in this area? We will probably have a truck to move around if we need it but the owner said there are elk sightings regularly near the cabin and its inside unit 12. Any information would be greatly appreciated. They are a little expensive but the facilities look great. But if the elk aren't in the general area we may ok elsewhere or find a recommended outfitter for a DIY drop style camp hunt.

Thanks and safe hunting

DevilDog82

Oct 6, 2015
I haven't archery hunted up there yet, but I've gone 4th rifle and going 3rd this year. Word is a big part of the Flat Tops will have some great potential on day 1, after that they get spooked deep into the brush/forests. I was up there scouting and it looked like a pumpkin patch of hunters heading out. I would almost recommend going a couple days early, scout around for the tracks/signs, and get off the main trails. During the early seasons (archery) the roads are very passable so there are folks getting as far back as the roads allow. I had to do quite a bit of work because of the late season, but it was worth it! Good Luck!

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Yes we got drawn for unit 12 muzzy for cows. And we are staying at wild skies. Got some Intel but not a lot. Looking forward to being out there. Question. Bringing my fly fishing gear too. What types of flies do the trout like out there? Hope to get on the water a bit out there. Thanks

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
For an either sex archery tag it takes a couple points as a non-resident. Keep that in mind.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
High mountain fish are not very picky. A pheasant tail nymph, an elk hair caddis, and a stone fly pattern will pretty much catch anything your after.

Dlnwohio

Jun 23, 2015
Please let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see what you think about wild skies. If it's the cabin I'm thinking we talked to the couple that own it in '09. We hunted around it with archery tags.

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
OK, we'll do. We're looking forward to it. Will be nice to hunt all day and then take a hot shower, eat a hot meal, and then climb into a soft bed.

Dlnwohio

Jun 23, 2015
I'll be honest if it's the cabin on road 8 and warm food and hot showers are what your looking for then you nailed it. If you want to find elk to hunt join the masses on the public land behind the sliver of private you get to hunt with the cabin. There's 2 public trail heads 500 yards both ways from the cabin so plenty of near by access.