Widefield riflescopes

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
Hey guys, my dad is in the market for a new riflescope for his browning 30-06 blr. He is in love with an old redfield he has on a 300 mag and is dead set on buying another for this gun. He insists that he can't get a good field of view out of any other scope than one of these due to what they called the widefield style scopes. I have looked all over and haven't found anything new, some old used ones on ebay similar to the one he has. Does anyone know of any companies with this style of scope out now that are new? He is driving me crazy!!!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Hey guys, my dad is in the market for a new riflescope for his browning 30-06 blr. He is in love with an old redfield he has on a 300 mag and is dead set on buying another for this gun. He insists that he can't get a good field of view out of any other scope than one of these due to what they called the widefield style scopes. I have looked all over and haven't found anything new, some old used ones on ebay similar to the one he has. Does anyone know of any companies with this style of scope out now that are new? He is driving me crazy!!!
They are going to be tough to find. They had really wide fields of view. If that is what he is looking for some modern scopes with really wide FOVs include Zeiss Conquest, Meopta, Swarovski Z6, and the new Leupold VX-6. THe FOV in the VX-6 is impressive.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Your dad sounds like mine!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I had a Redfield Widefield many years ago and it was a great scope. O rings went bad after about 25 years and I had to replace it. The only way to get more field of view is to get the 50mm ocular lens, which I personally don't care for. I think that they are set too high on the action, taller rings to clear the large end of the scope vs barrel. Leupold does make a scope that has a radius in the ocular end so it can be mounted lower. Only other solution would be to get on one of the "guns for sale" sites and see if you can find an older Redfield. I think there are still people out there that repair them too.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I had a Redfield Widefield many years ago and it was a great scope. O rings went bad after about 25 years and I had to replace it. The only way to get more field of view is to get the 50mm ocular lens, which I personally don't care for. I think that they are set too high on the action, taller rings to clear the large end of the scope vs barrel. Leupold does make a scope that has a radius in the ocular end so it can be mounted lower. Only other solution would be to get on one of the "guns for sale" sites and see if you can find an older Redfield. I think there are still people out there that repair them too.
Actually, CC, the field of view is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification. The lower the magnification, the wider the field. Eyepieces that provide the widest fields (at comparable magnifications) often do so at the expense of eye relief.

Small objective scopes often have very wide fields of view.

Big objectives have more effect on exit pupil, and by extension, low-light performance.

I agree completely about big objectives and mounting height.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Actually, CC, the field of view is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification. The lower the magnification, the wider the field. Eyepieces that provide the widest fields (at comparable magnifications) often do so at the expense of eye relief.

Small objective scopes often have very wide fields of view.

Big objectives have more effect on exit pupil, and by extension, low-light performance.

I agree completely about big objectives and mounting height.

Now that I think about it your right. The widefield had the wide eyepiece. Must have had a senior moment!!!