Whoa....

Adam

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
Feb 8, 2011
Easy easy there boss...just took me a while to getting around to adding it. You're welcome!!!!

-Adam

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
I don't think we are going to have to worry about a whole bunch of nonresident hunters coming here. Yes there will be a few. I don't think that tons of people are going to buy a nonresident license and a preference point for 5 or 6 years to draw a decent tag.

A while back an MRS for California was brought up and Guy pretty much shot it down. One of the reasons for MRS to help nonresident hunters in states who allow people to hunt multiple species. This is not the case in California.

All in all I am very glad to see this page on the forum. Thanks guys!

goindeep

May 9, 2011
There's quite a few nonresidents applying for the desert sheep tag and the tule tag. I believe there is a ton of people that have moved out of this state and still apply for deer, but I don't see the crowd getting any bigger though...

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
There's quite a few nonresidents applying for the desert sheep tag and the tule tag. I believe there is a ton of people that have moved out of this state and still apply for deer, but I don't see the crowd getting any bigger though...
Won't argue with you about the tile elk or sheep. Or that people that moved elsewhere and still apply.

Bottom line is California doesn't make it easy or appealing for nonresidents like other western states, their point system is not appealing for nonresidents as they are in the same pool as residents.

If a hunter right now wanted to start putting in for a elk or sheep tag. They could plan on waiting 15 years for an elk tag and $2268 in liscences every year just to buy a point, this is not counting buying an application each year for the preference point. 30+ years and $4536 in liscences for a sheep tag, not includig applications.

If somebody really wants a california desert bighorn or tule they will probably apply but for someone wanting to go on a nonresident hunt for elk or deer coming from the Midwest or east coast isn't going to look @ California DIY.