Who else likes the 300wsm

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Love my browning A Bolt ll in 300wsm. Put a Bell and Carlson sporter stock from redhawk rifles on it. Put a timmney after market trigger spring and topped it with a 3.5 -14×40 nikon Prostaff 5 with xr turret.
A month ago I finally got some hornady ELD-X in 178 gr. Over 64.5 gr. of RL17 getting an average muzzle velocity of 2975 fps. Not blazing fast, but fast enough for me.
15 shots make a 1 inch hole @ 100 yds. Still waiting on my turret so I can try it at longer ranges.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I love .300 mags! But mine is a Weatherby. It is a custom commercial mauser action. Shilen SS match grade barrel, B & C stock and a 4 x 14 Leupold VXIII with ballistic turret. Shoots sub moa out to 5oo yds (that is as far as I shot it). I reload everything. 180 gr Nosler Partition, RL25 powder, muzzle vel is right at 3300 fps.

I picked up a used HS Precision SPL in 300 WSM not too long ago. First couple of handloads grouped real well with some 150 Nosler BT I use in my .308 Winny. Since then I acquired a box of Barnes 168 TTSX of which I hope to develop a good load.. I'll be interested to see what velocity I can get in a "safe" load as the barrel is 22". Rifle is light and a dream to hold. Recoil is less than I expected from such a light rifle which I'm guessing is due to the stock being pretty straight.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I have a model 70 300WSM and I like it. I'm shooting 165 gr Sierra Game Kings out of it. I have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting out of it, and I can't shoot a decent group with any rifle to save my a$$; the deer and elk I've killed with it didn't have an opinion on velocity or group size though.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Gonna pick 1 up sooner than later....

Have a 300win.mag, but it's a bear, and kicks harder than my .340wby!

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
I have a model 70 300WSM and I like it. I'm shooting 165 gr Sierra Game Kings out of it. I have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting out of it, and I can't shoot a decent group with any rifle to save my a$$; the deer and elk I've killed with it didn't have an opinion on velocity or group size though.
Truer words have never been spoken!! I think I get too hung up on velocity and group size, but that's what I do for a pass time so I'm always looking at stuff like that.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I LOVE my 300 WSM. It is virtually the only rifle we hunt with in our family. It's a 10 year old custom Christensen Arms, and last year was topped with a Nightforce NXS. It has a muzzle brake and is quite loud, but kicks like a .243. The noise is easily solved with foam ear plugs.

The last time I shot a group with it (which isn't too frequent) it was 0.6 MOA @ 400 yards.

The last four shots my children have fired while hunting have resulted in a blacktail (daughter @ 435 yards across canyon under an old fruit tree), blacktail (son @ 435 yards, across canyon under an old fruit tree), cow elk (daughter about 190 yards), blacktail (daughter two days ago @ 305 yards). All I can say is having a rifle I know will do it's part if I do mine gives me a lot of peace of mind.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sako A7 tecomate for my 300wsm with leupold vx-3. 165 gr bonded bullets. Model 70 classic 300wsm for my spouse, 180 gr accubonds.They take everything from coyotes to bison.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I agree 100%. Aslong as you can put the bullet in the vitals of your target at whatever range you feel comfortable, who cares about group size?

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
Sako 75 Finnlight 300 wsm topped with 3.5x10 Swaro. This rig has been my go-to since 2006. It shoots pert near everything I feed it, but I've been using barnes most for hunting, starting to experiment with sierras and noslers. I'd like to know how the eld x do on game at close to moderate ranges ....

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Sako 75 Finnlight 300 wsm topped with 3.5x10 Swaro. This rig has been my go-to since 2006. It shoots pert near everything I feed it, but I've been using barnes most for hunting, starting to experiment with sierras and noslers. I'd like to know how the eld x do on game at close to moderate ranges ....
Sounds like what I want...

What grainers are you shooting? 150? 165? 180? other?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Mcseal2 was saying there were some too soft complaints about the ELD-X on the LRH forum. I've seen others that love it. I suspect like most tipped non-bonded bullets, up close it would tend to make a mess. I'm going to try the 150 grain version in my 280. Am hoping the more modest velocity will make it a good match. If all goes according to plan, the gun will love them, and I will have a field report on how they worked on deer and cow elk at the end of the season.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
Sounds like what I want...

What grainers are you shooting? 150? 165? 180? other?
In the TSX I shoot the 180s. I've used these to take antelope, deer, and elk with very good results. I've used RL 19 and 17 and Ramshot powder, all with good results.

I've loaded up some 165 gn sierra gamekings using RL 17. They shoot fantastic little groups.

I got ahold of some 210 gn Nosler LR bullets. While the Sako's 11" twist may not be ideal for these, initial experiments show stability and accuracy.

I'd like to try the eld's, but some of my shots are close. This year's bull fell at just 75 yards. I'd also like to give 190 gn berger vld a shot. I saw these work on an elk this year and the bullet did just as it was supposed to.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I'm a member of the 300wsm club. 150 ballistic tips for deer/antelope, and various different 180 grains for elk. I'm going to experiment with some 190 and 200 grain loads for a future moose hunt pretty soon. If anyone has experience/likes/dislikes with those heavier loads in the 300wsm, let's hear em.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalked BOSS 300 WSM.

Shoots Winchester silver-tips in 150 and 180 Gr Equally well.

One of the most accurate rifles I own.

Bring your earplugs.