Where would you move to if you had your choice of any western State to live in?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
We have elk, but it's not easy to hunt them every year. If it's moose, caribou, blacktail deer, dall sheep and black or brown bear you want to hunt every year, you might consider Alaska!
Throw in the great fishing and scenery Bob! I'm packing now. Keep the fire warm, I'm on the way!

Reactions: AKaviator

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
As I mentioned earlier about earlier about moving to either Idaho or Wyoming. Have been looking at houses over the internet and have noticed that most houses don’t have fire places .I would think with the cold winters that would be a main source to heat your home. That’s all we use here in the winter to heat our house. Anyways just curious.

Reactions: THelms

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
People are getting away from burning wood, they don't have the time to collect and split it.

I did away with my wood burning stove 25 years ago and haven't had a fire in my fireplace in 15 years. I still have 3 or so cords split and stacked out in my wood shed.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have a natural gas hot water boiler system.

I would wager that most of the homes you saw have natural gas, if not they'll heat with electricity

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
How are you heating your house?
I have natural gas and it only costs me $15 a month to heat my home . but my home is small and I keep it set at 65. I love the cold and hate the heat. at that cost I doubt I could save money by going to wood . even if I could it just isn't worth the aggrivation.
besides , natural gas is cleaner and my greatest desire is to please the greenies. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Steve O

Apr 26, 2012
Michigan
We are going to end up in AZ. Somewhere on the outskirts of Tucson I imagine. We are going to do as CO Cowboy for the next 5-10 years and explore different areas of the state at different times of the year. It reality, from Tucson we can drive to any weather we want in 3-4 hours. With Wyoming completely screwing the NR shortly, we will make a 12-18 month stop at a nice condo in Jackson Hole so I can use all the sheep points I have invested in all the years and after that I will be done with Wyoming forever.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I heat 100% with firewood because as the wise Eskimo said “man who chops his own firewood warms up twice” 😂..

As a family spend pry 7-8 nights in the summer and fall. Have a picnic and fill up the 8’ bed of my 4x4 dodge w 10’ lengths. Helps get me in shape for the fall. Then bucking and chopping as well as shoveling out the snow in the winter helps w the same.

Now on another note if I were going to leave this small mountain town for another the right places in Wyo are hard to beat.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just a few thoughts from a Wyoming native who has literally watched people move in and out his entire life and the population never seems to grow past the 500K mark.

1. If your wife/significant other is not a fan of the cold Wyoming and Montana are not for you and probably not Idaho.
2. If you can't stand wind then Wyoming is not going to be a pleasant experience and it is all relative. Where I live now is way better than where I grew up...but when family visits they comment how windy it is here.
3. If snow bothers you western Montana, the I80 corridor, Idaho and western Colorado probably won't be great options.
4. Distances here in Wyoming are much bigger than most realize. Our towns were established in the southern half of the state based on Pony express stop over distances. Hence roughly 110 miles between just about everything. Wal-Mart for instance was a 10 minute drive where I grew up, now I live in a place where they roll up the sidewalks at 6:00 PM and there is a real chance during the winter that I shouldn't travel the 22 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart.
5. Many people who grew up here are very frustrated with the current real estate market. Getting outbid by cash buyers for months on end by people from other areas has grown tiresome. I'm not in this boat but completely understand the frustrations of those are literally stuck. The frustration will wear off with time but at the moment the grumpiness mentioned earlier is currently fueled partially by this.
6. Don't ever use the words "well why don't we do it this way here, that's how we did it where we came from." Many long time residents get pretty insulted, it's taken as a backhanded way of calling the local residents unsophisticated.

I can probably add a few more pieces to this survival guide of sorts when I have some time. I would talk about the good parts but all of you are outdoorsmen and understand that extensively.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Wyoming is not what its cracked up to be... Wolves and Grizz every where wind howls and winters last for ever Colorado would be my choice if I had to do it again;);););)
Wyoming residents are stretch the truth a lot, especially about Colorado and the wind! Wyoming needs more people....and the latest rumor is that Tesla is going to build a new manufacturing plant in Cody and hire 5,000 people. LOL 35156