When would a good time be to go scouting my hunt area?

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
I drew a type 1 tag and my buddy drew a type 4 tag for GMU 120 for elk. I would like to head up there from Kentucky sometime between now and when the season starts to get a lay of the land and possibly meet with the biologist for the area. I would like some recommendations on when a good time would be to head up there to look around?

We've never hunted elk in WY but I have hunted antelope. Hopefully I can get some advice on where to go look but I'm still planning on going up to check the area out.

Thanks in advance.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
im not familiar with those areas but if possible, the best time to scout it is a few days before your hunt opens, you could hit it in the summer but alot of those elk may or may not be in different areas come hunt time. plus itll save ya an extra trip if ya take a couple extra days off and scout day/days prior to hunt. bring a gps and check out water sources, amazing what u can fins with a gps.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
If you aren't planning to hunt the entire season to fill your tags, I'd be saving that initial trip time and tacking days on to the actual hunt if possible. Elk can move a lot and as previously mentioned there may not even be many in the unit until the Fall season is close or gets going. Before I made that long trip to scout I'd definitely contact the area biologist and get his take on game movement and whether that initial scouting trip would be needed. On the other hand, if you have plenty of time and money to make a vacation/ scouting trip, then by all means do so and even if there aren't elk there then you'll be able to get the lay of the land down and be ready for the hunt itself.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
I drew a type 1 tag and my buddy drew a type 4 tag for GMU 120 for elk. I would like to head up there from Kentucky sometime between now and when the season starts to get a lay of the land and possibly meet with the biologist for the area. I would like some recommendations on when a good time would be to head up there to look around?

We've never hunted elk in WY but I have hunted antelope. Hopefully I can get some advice on where to go look but I'm still planning on going up to check the area out.

Thanks in advance.
If you are just wanting to get the lay of the land, then anytime between now and then would work. If you are concerned about locating elk and those elk being in close proximity to that area come opening morning, then I would scout immediately before the hunt.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree with Topgun and Ivory

Also the biologist seem to be more and more unavailable at least here in Nv. I would call plenty of time ahead to make an appointment to meet them. Or maybe just a phone call to discuss areas of interest.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Browntail, is that Wyoming elk area #120? Do you have access to a ranch/ranches or is this a DIY public land hunt? How many points did it take to draw?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Browntail, is that Wyoming elk area #120? Do you have access to a ranch/ranches or is this a DIY public land hunt? How many points did it take to draw?
Yes, we're in the Wyoming Forum and it sounded like they are doing a DIY on BLM land. Unit 120 took 7 and 3 PPs in the regular PP and special PP draws, respectively, this year.

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Actually CC, the southeastern and southern border of 120 is where most of the private land is located. The western and northern part is predominantly BLM.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Yep, east of Arminto and then on to the southeast is mostly private, but there is also plenty of BLM north of there and throughout the north/northwestern part of the unit.

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the info. Yes we are doing a DIY hunt. Have a coupe leads on some private property but right now we are planning on public land. We will be hunting the last week of the season due to schedules so hopefully there will still be some animals around. I had 7 points and my buddy had zero but put in for the full price cow tag and got drawn. I chose the area after speaking to the Biologist for the area, reading Eastmans MRS, and wanted to find a unit my buddy could draw a tag and we could hunt together. It may not be the best area with the 7 points I had but I'm excited.

Thanks again for the replies.