When do you normally give up on an area?

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Not seeing elk or decent bulls for multiple days? Wind won't stop? Too few elk? Too many people? What will run you out of an elk camp to try and find greener pastures?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
work.the need to make a living.

worst day elk hunting is still better then the best day at work.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll quit at dark on the last day.

But then I don't hunt a unit that doesn't hold what I am looking for.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
if you are covering ground, including glassing and you are not seeing elk or fresh sign, move to a new area. with that said, there have been a few times I almost gave up on an elk spot just to find it full of elk the next day. if its a spot they always tend to be, they will be there in due time. if there are more people than usual; that can change the game plan for sure

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My thoughts pertaining to early season hunting. (archery/muzzleloader) If I did my home work and am hunting in a summer concentration area or known spot....they will cycle around every 3-4 days....if not bumped hard by a human.

If after 3-4 days of straight no visual contact with any animals......then I think they relocated. Gotta find that other drainage they went to. We then spike out and cover ground from main camp.......and hunt till last shooting light of the last day.

Big animals that cover big chunks of ground.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Basically the same as I am thinking so far. Was mostly curious what folks on here had to say. One of the main problems hunting solo. Learn virtually everything the hard way. Also always second guessing decisions. Good to have a second set of eyes and knowledge.