When Did You Kill Your First Elk?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
LOL Buss, you were shooting elk before I was even born!
Honestly, you weren't missing much, not nearly the opportunity back then that there is today.

What I do miss is the simplicity of elk hunting back then...tag, rifle, pack, knife...and only hunting and applying in your State of residency. Why I still like to hunt cow elk every year, pretty much approach it the same way.

I also miss elk hunting with my Grandfather and a few friends that have passed away, but time waits for nobody.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Hey guys! What age were you when you harvested your first elk? Drop your pictures if you have them!!!
Hopefully at age 71 next fall 2022 is my year for elk. I couldnt apply this year because i missed the applicationdeadline while I was in the hospital with my stroke.
THE Wyoming ELS TIMEOUT feature caused my application to be rejected. My left hand could not hold on to the phone with all the continue button hits and scrolling the screen. Lost the phone several times in the bed sheets. Hit the nurse call button to retrieve it. My 11 PP points burned a hole in my pocket. Maybe next year with one more point I can draw a decent area with 12! That's why I feel next year is the year

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have only hunted GEN areas, and the points required for a NR have gone from 0-1 to 4. I am there again after burning them in 2017 (WY), and used my 11 CO points in 2019. Don't let your points outlive you....get healthy first my friend.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Thank you ricmic, I've been on a steady diet of therapy since returning from the hospital at the end of march. My shed hunting season was shortened by the fact that doctors said I shouldn't be driving. My wife has been an enforcer and I've only got out a few times with a couple of 5 mile treks through the woods. This stroke has certainly knocked the carp out of me.
Hoping to go into next years elk draw with 11 pps. Looking forward to a good hunt next fall (2022). Wish I would have as many deer & antelope points to play with.
This fall hope to hunt both in areas previously hunted. Going for easy draws this year. Also applied for some random lope doe/fawn tags in previous hunted areas and one new spot. Looking forward to draw date Jun 17 (father's day present.

okie archer

Feb 5, 2015
Coweta, Oklahoma
I am 46 and still haven't killed an elk. I have had some part of 5 elk recoveries and a moose but unfortunately none were my animals.
1st elk hunt was otc in Idaho 2015. Archery hunt, I shot a raghorn high in the back. He ran off then turned around and walked away.
2nd hunt 2016 I drew AZ 6a archery with 2 points. Missed 2 bulls. One was pretty nice. The other was a raghorn.
3rd hunt was Wy gen tag archery 2019. I only hunted for about 3 days because after I drew my tag a buddy drew Idaho Moose and I wanted to go on that hunt so I cut my elk trip short to spend the time in Idaho which I dont regret it was awesome.
Maybe one of these days.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I am 46 and still haven't killed an elk. I have had some part of 5 elk recoveries and a moose but unfortunately none were my animals.
1st elk hunt was otc in Idaho 2015. Archery hunt, I shot a raghorn high in the back. He ran off then turned around and walked away.
2nd hunt 2016 I drew AZ 6a archery with 2 points. Missed 2 bulls. One was pretty nice. The other was a raghorn.
3rd hunt was Wy gen tag archery 2019. I only hunted for about 3 days because after I drew my tag a buddy drew Idaho Moose and I wanted to go on that hunt so I cut my elk trip short to spend the time in Idaho which I dont regret it was awesome.
Maybe one of these days.
Did your buddy tag?

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I was 35 in the late fall of 1986, my first year to hunt elk in my new homestate of Wyoming! It was a late season cow hunt, myself and 2 friends saw a group of elk entering the timber from a cut-over. The two of them went directly toward the elk. I was sitting in g center of the truck.......never sit in the center, and was the last one out of the truck. I headed into the timber in an attempt to get ahead of the elk. I found a long, narrow opening .....waiting and hoping! I heard the footfalls of running elk, then the first elk entered the opening. Quickly, determining that the running elk had no antlers.....I touched off a shot, and the elk fell. In mere moments a group of cow elk ran past. It was at that time I realized that I shot a baby. It’s difficult to judge the size of a lone running elk in the timber....with only moments to make a decision! I had an elk on my first season of elk hunting.....but, shooting a calf is a little embarrassing!

No picture available .....I didn’t have a “macro-lense” for my camera! 😂 memtb
Those calves are prime eats however.

Reactions: memtb