What's the deal with Bison?

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I was just filling out my NR MooseSheepGoat app, and had never really thought about checking the box for bison. That is, until now. I am totally ignorant about this particular hunt, and knew there's a lot of you guys out there just loaded with knowledge. Are these bison truly wild? Are any units better suited to archery hunting? Which dates are best? I'm grateful for any help, and if I'm successful, would be more than happy to share some steaks.

Thanks

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
The bison hunts are a gamble. You are hunting bison from YNP. They come out of the park on their own schedule. The safest bets are the later hunts, when snow is deepest. Any of the hunts could be had with stick and string, as bison are often pretty approachable. A wounded bison (or healthy one for that matter) is pretty dangerous, so keep that in mind, if you plan on getting in close with archery tackle.

goatpoop

Feb 22, 2011
FYI You have to attend a mandatory orientation class in Bozeman to use archery equipment. Seems like huge pain especially for a non-resident.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Honestly I think you could find wilder "ranch" style bison hunts out there than some of these "wild free range" bison hunts in WY and MT.

My dad took a WY bison, wasn't much of a hunt, but they're an awesome animal.

After that hunt if I really wanted a bison I would not hesitate to find a bison hunt that wasn't officially free range, long odds anyway for many of those tags, and some of those ranches can truly have wild bison... and probably a much tougher hunt in many ways.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I don't know if the "challenge" is really the draw in a bison hunt. There was a reason they were wiped off the plains in a short period of time.

A lot of those ranch hunts are pretty reasonably priced, but I would prefer to draw a tag, myself.