What's the best fixed blade modern broadhead?

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I am a 4 blade guy and prefer all steel fixed blade heads like a slick trick or Ironwill. Is there anything better out there?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have been shooting muzzy 4-blade 90Grains for a long time.

They are affordable.
They fly great
They penetrate deep
They make great blood trails
They hold up well upon contact with bones

When I find something better I will be surprised indeed.

You never see them being compared in any reviews. I could never figure that out.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Looking forward to responses. I've been using Montecs, but always like others input.
I can't get them sharpe as they need to be. I don't think its a steel quality issue but the bevel is too steep. How has your experience been with them?

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I have been shooting muzzy 4-blade 90Grains for a long time.

They are affordable.
They fly great
They penetrate deep
They make great blood trails
They hold up well upon contact with bones

When I find something better I will be surprised indeed.

You never see them being compared in any reviews. I could never figure that out.
Interesting you bring that up because you're right. Nobody reviews them. They've been around forever. They've got to be one of the first 4 bladers I can remember. Shot my first deer with a Muzzy 4 and it did a good job. I thought their blades were too thin ( had them break) and the trocar tip rarely would rarely screw on square to the ferrule. Then slick tricks came out!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I can't get them sharpe as they need to be. I don't think its a steel quality issue but the bevel is too steep. How has your experience been with them?
I quit using Montecs for the same reason, they just never got sharp for me. Seemed really dull right out of the box as well.
When forced to use fixed blade heads, I like Shuttle T-Locks. Super sharp, and fly great.

I think the Muzzy's aren't ever reviewed cause they aren't exactly a sexy broadhead.. They're economical, long lasting, and haven't changed since as far back as I can remember

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I?m in a bow drought. So no comment here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This one should get fun, although it won't have as many discussion points as the mechanicals do...

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
"What's the best fixed blade modern broadhead? "

Thats like asking what's the best beer ot the best pizza. There is no subatanitive answer since its only going to be subjective and anecdotal. Nobody has tried them all to make such a claim. That said, the best fixed blade broadhead is the one

1. that flies great out of your setup

2. give you the most confidence.

3. is razor sharp

4. You can afford to loose after just one use

5. can be reused and sharpened if it survives.

If your head meets all the above, its the best broadhead FOR YOU and thats all that matters.

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
I agree with Stay Sharp. But which fixed head is the question? I also agree that Montecs are not the sharpest (the higher grade steel ones are better), but I have used Montecs and had complete broadside elk pass thrus. My favorite is Mangus Stinger Buzzcut if I can get them to fly like my field points, some years I can some years not. They must fly true.

Elkhunter96

Jan 8, 2013
Bountiful, Utah
Slick trick, wac'em and QAD Exodus. I personally use the standard 4 blade slick trick and just replace the blades every once in a while. I have used the same head on several animals and haven't had any issues. Also, they fly like field points past 100 yds when my bow is in tune.

MTbowhunter36

Dec 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Big fan of the 4 blade 125 grain Wac'Em. However, I think I'll be in the market for a new BH as they are only making them in 100 and 150 grains now. Also liked that they came in a four pack for the same price as other three packs.

I've been eyeing Ramcats, Shuttle T and Slick Tricks as my new BH.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
"What's the best fixed blade modern broadhead? "

Thats like asking what's the best beer ot the best pizza. There is no subatanitive answer since its only going to be subjective and anecdotal. Nobody has tried them all to make such a claim. That said, the best fixed blade broadhead is the one

1. that flies great out of your setup

2. give you the most confidence.

3. is razor sharp

4. You can afford to loose after just one use

5. can be reused and sharpened if it survives.

If your head meets all the above, its the best broadhead FOR YOU and thats all that matters.

Excellent points, all of which are why I shoot a Magnus 2-blade (on a XX75 GameGetter). It will kill any ungulate in North America and it's cheap enough to shoot at a grouse or hare without doing a cost-benefit analysis. I held a Magnus up to a 40 year old Kodiak Eskimo and man they are very similar.

good thread

lang

Nov 11, 2013
+1 For Magnus Stingers. One other great advantage to go with everything above is the lifetime guarantee. You might find customer service as good, but none better.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I quit using Montecs for the same reason, they just never got sharp for me. Seemed really dull right out of the box as well.
When forced to use fixed blade heads, I like Shuttle T-Locks. Super sharp, and fly great.

I think the Muzzy's aren't ever reviewed cause they aren't exactly a sexy broadhead.. They're economical, long lasting, and haven't changed since as far back as I can remember
Shuttle T is hard to beat! They fly awesome and sharp as sharp! I have a feeling a big western bull will fall victim to the ole shuttle T in Sep by your doing sir!

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Shuttle T is hard to beat! They fly awesome and sharp as sharp! I have a feeling a big western bull will fall victim to the ole shuttle T in Sep by your doing sir!
I also like the shuttle Ts. I think you can get most broadheads to fly good out of a perfectly tuned bow. But most people cant shoot a perfectly tuned bow, perfectly. I have tried several broadheads, and I like these the most. I actually just gave my dad all of my shuttle Ts. and picked up a pack of muzzy trocars to try, but who knows. I might pick up some more shuttle Ts if the trocars suck.

I like mechanicals also tho.

Plainsman

Apr 17, 2013
SW WY
A lot of points made so far. I always seemed to find consistency with 100 gr. Muzzy 3 blades- they flew well out of every bow I've owned so far. I have since grown quite fond of the Slick Trick 100 gr. line however, shoot very well and are built hell-for-stout. Never had blades curl, chip, etc... Just can't say enough good about them for my setup!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Montec G5 guy here.

Stay Sharpe last year (thread here somewhere) discussed about how to properly sharpen. I have mine razor/cutting hair sharp with his techniques. Numerous full elk pass throughs. Big difference though in the carbon steel vs stainless steel models (don't believe they make a CS in the 125g)

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I am switching heads to a fixed this year (used up my last ulmers and cant get them anymore). My short list to try in 125 gr and will see how they fly then pick one.

Wac- em
Shuttle - T
Slick Tricks