What would you do with my 270 win?

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
I think I might be done testing for now.

Mv with rl22 was about 2950 with 59.5g. The groups for that powder were very equal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Btw, I didn't go past 61g with the h4831sc. Probably could as the cases didn't show any sign of too much pressure really other than slightly flattened primers. Overall though I'm satisfied where I stopped for now.

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
For the accuracy I'm able to achieve with my avg Joe skills I'd really like to see a seasoned shooter with my bone stock browning rifles. Yes I'm a fan of them and do own others but I just love how they feel and shoot.

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
The 270 with 130 gr. Accubonds or Partitions should just cuddle right up to H4831SC in most rifles. You might try a different primer and even consider using a magnum primer as you are working up your load. Several sources of reloading information show up to about 62 grs. of H4831SC using 130 gr. bullets so if you are not showing any pressure signs I would increase at 1/2 grain increments and see if something really works.

I load for a buddy and am loading 59.0 grs. of H4831SC using Federal 215 match (magnum) primers and 130 gr. Partitions. His rifle has a 22" barrel and I 3020 fps with the Partition and 3040 fps with the Accubond.

Velocity: We used several 308 Remington Model 700 heavy barrel rifles and one 308 Savage rifle with a heavy barrel at work. Using the same lot of Match grade 168 gr. Sierra loads in these rifles the velocities were striking. I don't recall the exact numbers but between them it seems that I recall there being a difference of about 200 fps between the fastest rifle and the slowest using the exact same load in these 6 different rifles.

The shortest barrel was a 22" .308 Remington 700.
I believe 4 700's were 24" barrels.
The Savage had a 24" barrel or possibly even a 26" barrel.

From these rifles the slowest barrel/rifle was not the one with the 22" barrel, and the fastest over the chronograph was not the one with the 26" barrel. That in itself should prove that different rifles even if they are virtually identical and they shoot the exact same load, the velocities between each rifle can be pretty dramatic.
I'm thinking about testing this load more; what sources do you know of that list 62g for max charge?

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Got out to experiment again. This time with imr 4831. Top right is 57.5g, center 58g, bottom left 58.5g. Second photo shows speed for each group

Can anyone explain to me the very subtle differences in speed until I got to 58.5g?

Regardless, I think I found the powder I'm gonna stick with.

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Got out to experiment again. This time with imr 4831. Top right is 57.5g, center 58g, bottom left 58.5g. Second photo shows speed for each group

Can anyone explain to me the very subtle differences in speed until I got to 58.5g?

Regardless, I think I found the powder I'm gonna stick with.

I was a bit nervous with these loads as the manual I was looking at said 59 for a max but the new lyman says 57. Here's the cases from 58 (top) and 58.5. Are they ok?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That is why you work up loads instead of starting with a high load. I would suspect that the last load has a quite higher pressure and may be quite close to the max charge for that rifle. How do the cases look?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I just looked at the picture of the cases, if it was me I would stick with the 58 grain load and watch for other pressure signs such as a sticking bolt.. Pressure signs can be hard to figure out at times. You could always mix the cases to see if there is a marked difference

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Yea started at 57 since the manual I originally was looking at said 59. Anyway, the cases all look very similar, primers are not much different from one another, no noticeable bulging or expanding. I agree, I believe 58 might be the ticket here; tightest group as well. Didn't measure it but it looks to be .5 or less

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Oh and the was absolutely no sticking off the bolt on any of them. They all felt the same

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You will find that reloading manuals go up and down on their loads. Today in the liability world they are leaning towards lower pressures. I have a few manuals from 40 years ago that have loads in them that are way over max for today's manuals. Even my pet load for my .340 Weatherby is not published in any manual anymore and the ones that are listed are a couple of grains lower than what I am shooting.

As for pressure signs I have a hard time trying to figure them out with the pictures and what else is published in the manuals. I went to measuring the cases in several spots with a micrometer to see what is going on with the case. The big problem with that is that all cases are not created equal and what load is save in one manufactures case is not in the other manufacture. This is where I try to buy enough new cases to reload instead of using a random bunch of them. On the random cases that I use I try to keep the loads a little on the mild side and have learned that sometimes those mild loads outperform the hotter loads.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I agree with theddguide on sticking with the 58 gr. load. You added .5 gr to the 3053 fps (avg. vel.) load, which increased it by 19 fps to 3072; you added .5 to that load increasing it by 16 fps to 3088; an additional .5 gr was added, which increased the average velocity by 51 fps to 3139. In my book, it is time to stop adding and back down a notch. It does not seem like much, but that is three times your average velocity increase with the same .5 gr powder charge increase. Brass appearance and book readings mean little regarding pressures. If you want to know about pressure measure the case heads on your fired cases. Your chronograph is trying to tell you something. The 58 grain load appears the most accurate, and is certainly capable of killing a deer or an elk.

HogsFly

Apr 8, 2018
Parker, Colorado
Disclaimer: I only know enough about QuickLOAD to be dangerous... I did enter 59 grains of H4831 SC and came up with a pressure of 59,827 psi out of a Pmax of 65,000 psi. For strictly what it is worth, I could only go to 60.3 grains of that same powder to stay under 65K psi.

This has been a good discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Yup I've pretty much ruled that powder outta my gun. Imr 4831 seems to produce much tighter groups so far

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
5 shot group 100yds. One to the right was first shot but mostly just me pulling it. Need to bring it down a bit to be zeroed at 200. I can honestly say it's the best I've ever shot.