What should I expect hunting in Montana?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Oh yea. There are plenty along the Madison river on private ground near Ennis. It's amazing how many deer appear in the evenings in the alfalfa fields. They're all hidden in the willows during the days. 50+ in some fields. Where there is feed whitetails seem to show up.

N8tve_Hunter

Apr 20, 2017
11 weeks of hunting season! It's a great place to hunt! Grew up hunting there, one of the last places in the lower 48 to still offer OTC tags.. A lot of good public lands to hunt! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
This season will be my 40th season hunting Montana.

Outside of turkeys, lion, wolves, and possibly black bears, there is no hunting that is better now than when I started in 1979, in particular on public land. Sheep, moose, goat, mule deer, elk (on public land), and whitetail hunting are much worse today.

If you have access to well managed private, deer and elk can still be pretty good.

Long seasons, cheap OTC Resident tags, shoulder seasons, deer hunting during the rut and opportunity at all costs...have consequences.

Its a great place to hunt, but these days, its mostly a good place to take your rifle for a hike if you hunt public land.

Reactions: jake

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Yep, things are tough when your state is one of just a handful that NR look to for opportunities to hunt. Throw in the fact you have bureaucrats that manage the states game to fill their coffers and justify their jobs.