What kind of hunter...

I consider myself a Northeastern stillhunter and snow tracker of whitetails, first and foremost. I learned from my dad and grandpa starting at the age of six or so.
In my 20s, 30s and 40s, my buddies and I did a lot of backpack hunts deep in the Adirondacks, the Poconos and the North Woods of Maine, along with an occasional DIY in Colorado or New Mexico

These days, my packs only get used as day packs. I'd have to have a really good reason to spike out anymore...like being up to my eyeballs in moose meat six miles from camp as the sun sets in Newfoundland. And I don't care if I have to make an extra trip or even two...I'm not hauling any meat loads heavier than 60# or so.

Since I retired and now have the means, I've been doing a private ranch muley or pronghorn hunt out of a cozy lodge in Wyoming for the last 4 years. There's definitely something to be said for a couple of cocktails and a BS session with other hunters while waiting for a nice hot meal to hit the table. Then a hot shower and a good nights sleep in a cozy bed.

But my first love has always been, and always will be, the 4-5 straight weeks I spend at my club camp/cabin on a hill in the NY Catskills chasing deer and taking dad's and gramp's Rem 760s and Marlins for a walk in the woods.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I would say I am a adventurer, local, wild game eating, family huntin, youth onset, archery mule deer hunter in my present form..

Gone out hunting w my father archery in some of the biggest mountains in the lower 48 since I was 6.. Chasing him (a marathoner) around I did not know these were big mountains - they were just what is in the back yard lol.

So w my father and a couple longbows - bugling bulls took most of my September’s up in late 90’s early 00’s.. Had a blast killed a bunch of elk bugled our heads off most days. Still try and kill a elk a year to fill the freezer. My wife is very supportive of hunting and loves to hunt elk so we can usually fill the freezer one way or another.

Always liked chasing giant mulies even since before I could hunt and still do. Lucky enough to live in the middle of arguably the best giant Mule deer country anywhere.. Only so many years a guy has to hunt em up high so I take advantage when I can.

Funny but I have never hunted more than maybe 3 or so hours from where I was born and live…

Last edited:

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
I used to be tough, hiking in 5 miles, carrying everything I needed for 5 days, eating MREs and SPAM, boiling water to drink and sleeping in a pup tent. Now, I don't hike in over night or eat MREs, I need my camper and bed. I can still put down the miles but to recovery time is longer that's for sure