What is the best Scouting Camera?

iamup

Feb 25, 2011
Redding, CA
Can anyone tell me what the best scouting camera is? I currently have a Stealth Cam I590. It's ok, but I am looking into a new one. I like the fact that my camera takes color photos at night. All of the newer cameras are infra red and I really don't like black and white photos as night pictures. Can anyone help me out?

Thank You

iamup

Feb 25, 2011
Redding, CA
Thank You for the help. You're right...I don't like the price. If you can tell me which camera is better but at a cheaper price. I would appreciate it.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
TC 35..check Natchez for refurbished. Good pics & if it walks off it's not going to make you cry.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I know they are a price point camera but I have been using the Spypoint g4 cameras for a few years without any issues. Battery life is excellent and I can get 2000+ pics on a 4gb card. I leave mine up 8 Months out of the year. Here are a few pics

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
If you are really don't like black and white night photos, I would go with the scoutguard SG565. It's not too expensive at $180. I'm not sure about using cameras with incandescent flash though. I had one with a led flash a few years ago and the deer seemed spooky around it. I think they get nervous around a strange flash at night. I know you like color photos but consider that aspect carefully before buying.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Those are some pretty good pics 25contender. I love the strutter. Those are a lot better than the night pics I get with my Stealthcam Unit. What a piece of crap, it's the worst camera I've ever owned.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Can anyone tell me what the best scouting camera is? I currently have a Stealth Cam I590. It's ok, but I am looking into a new one. I like the fact that my camera takes color photos at night. All of the newer cameras are infra red and I really don't like black and white photos as night pictures. Can anyone help me out?

Thank You
I think this is really going to depend on what price you want to spend. There are a bunch of good cameras out there, and you really don't even need to spend $150 to get it. I have several Moultrie D-55 cameras, that take great pictures, and have been doing so for a long time.

Like Alabama said, Reconyx is the best, completely in a class of it's own. But, Cuddyback and Moultrie are pretty good cameras, I've had bad luck with Bushnell and Steathcam cameras

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Cuddebacks were pretty good back before the market got flooded with options. Their CS is a pain to deal with.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think this is really going to depend on what price you want to spend. There are a bunch of good cameras out there, and you really don't even need to spend $150 to get it. I have several Moultrie D-55 cameras, that take great pictures, and have been doing so for a long time.

Like Alabama said, Reconyx is the best, completely in a class of it's own. But, Cuddyback and Moultrie are pretty good cameras, I've had bad luck with Bushnell and Steathcam cameras
I agree with Fink. Depending on what you are using it for there are a lot of good cameras out there.

If you are using the camera for tight trail crossings where the deer will not be in front of the camera for very long than I would go with a camera with a fast trigger speed. I've used cuddeback since I like there price better than reconyx. They finally even came out with a model that uses 2a batteries and now I can put lithium batteries in to last the cold weather!

image.jpgimage.jpg

If you are planning to use the cameras at a mineral spot, water hole, etc where the animal will be slowing down or can be stopped you can get away with several of the less expensive models. I've used the stealth cam archers choice, moultrie m80, and cuddebacks primarily. The only camera I have tried that I didn't like was the wildgame innovations.

I forget the original model and that of the replacements though. I'm on my fourth warranty replacement. I will say there customer service has been great every time I call, but for whatever reason they quit taking pictures after a couple months. Hopefully the fourth time is a charm.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I find a lot of the cameras will take good pictures during the day and if they use a flash good night time pics. Some of the IR cameras can wash out at night as the IR flash is to bright and basically whites out the image.

Hope this helps.

Attachments