What Is It With Gear Lists

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Great points in the article!

Ballistics app for my computer and phone really helped my shooting. I am 6+ hour drive from my hunting areas, so pre-season scouting doesn't fit my work schedule. I do put on the boots and pack and train in the off-season. Neighbors think I'm crazy, but I really don't care.

Work / life challenges took me away from hunting for almost ten years. In the past few years I've concentrated my upgrade efforts in the following ways:

Optics: Leupold scopes and Leica rangefinder are still great, so no change there. Did upgrade to Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD binos. Huge difference!
Shooting: Added bi-pod, dug in to ballistics more, experimented with different loads and got the rifle shooting much better.
Clothing: Upgrading some clothing options...badly needed.
Boots: I'm an 11.5 - 4E, so options are limited. Replaced the 20+ year old boots with new Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall.
Pack: the next purchase...
Workouts: My gym has a pool...swimming really kicks my ass...but huge help with the cardio. I mix it up - hiking, running, weights, stairs, swim, yoga, MMA-style-training, etc.
Nutrition: wife had to go gluten free 3 years ago...I gave it a try and feel much better. Not for everyone.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Great points in the article!

Ballistics app for my computer and phone really helped my shooting. I am 6+ hour drive from my hunting areas, so pre-season scouting doesn't fit my work schedule. I do put on the boots and pack and train in the off-season. Neighbors think I'm crazy, but I really don't care.

Work / life challenges took me away from hunting for almost ten years. In the past few years I've concentrated my upgrade efforts in the following ways:

Optics: Leupold scopes and Leica rangefinder are still great, so no change there. Did upgrade to Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD binos. Huge difference!
Shooting: Added bi-pod, dug in to ballistics more, experimented with different loads and got the rifle shooting much better.
Clothing: Upgrading some clothing options...badly needed.
Boots: I'm an 11.5 - 4E, so options are limited. Replaced the 20+ year old boots with new Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall.
Pack: the next purchase...
Workouts: My gym has a pool...swimming really kicks my ass...but huge help with the cardio. I mix it up - hiking, running, weights, stairs, swim, yoga, MMA-style-training, etc.
Nutrition: wife had to go gluten free 3 years ago...I gave it a try and feel much better. Not for everyone.
Glad you got something from it. Hoping that hunters across the board read and see the importance of this.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Great artical again Scott

I like to look over gear lists to see what I can improve on rather that be adding to or taking away. Changing gear to new and improved, lighter, does more then previous model keeps me on my toes.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm a nut an go OCD on internet scouting & training. I have good equipment and practice stocking and shooting a lot back in Ohio with both gun, bow, and camera. What I really need is some med and outer layer FL or Sitka clothing. :)

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Great article Scott,
I agree with your main points completely.
I live literally at the bottom of Pikes Peak and I hike steep terrain 4 or 5 days a week with my day pack.
I don't spend much time in a gym, just hike, and this seems to work pretty well for me.