What has everyone saw for birds this year

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Birds have been trickling in down here, the BWT are piled in since the front came through last weekend. Waves of lessers & snows are coming in to the coastal sod/wheat/rice fields since Thanksgiving.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, time to bump this one up.

The bulk of the Central Flyway's birds seem to be hung up in Montana and the Dakotas. While some nasty weather in September and October pushed down quite a few the majority are still up north, with reports that even the prairie provinces are still holding good numbers of birds.

I'm not saying that Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa and Missouri don't have birds but they don't have all their birds yet. It's gonna take some cold weather to push down the rest and kick the migration into high gear.

If I could travel to kill birds my itinerary would include Eastern Montana, NoDak, SoDak and Northern Nebraska right now... I wouldn't turn down a trip to Central Wyoming either.

Just the skinny from my neck of the marsh... what have you heard?

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
DeSoto bend in Eastern Nebraska reports following as of 11.22.2017

Total Geese, 8,892
Total Ducks, 48,240

Nephew and his friends have been hammering waterfowl for weeks now. They even passed on opening rifle deer season to hunt waterfowl...and that's saying something!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
We had a bunch of birds for the opener in early November, and got some steady pushes for the first 2 weeks or so, but we’ve picked up no new birds in about the last 10 days, and the ducks we’ve got now are very stale. It’s pretty tough here right now, but we may pick up new birds in the next week.
We’re not near done, with only about a million birds showing up on our public areas that are flown and counted regularly. Still a bunch of ducks to still come down the pipe. Gonna take some weather to move those red legged mallards though.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
On Sunday evening we received a hard north wind with blowing snow. I was excited to see the temps drop and the wind blow; we did get some new birds, mostly Goldeneyes (Scott will be excited) but not much else. Waiting on the weekend to see what finds its way down over the course of the week.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Big storm in Montana is pushing birds down. Be careful out there in the extreme temps this weekend but we should have fresh birds now and more on the way! For ideas on how to take care of your canine companion during these late season hunts visit http://www.wingmen.us/ and check out the Extreme Conditions Dog Care blog series. Best of luck, Happy New Year and stay safe out there!

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Starting to see a few big geese show up in Colorado on the front range! Not near as many lessers. Have not seen any new ducks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
3 Specks 001.jpg
Took this picture this afternoon (March 9). They are still here. They were on my pond with some honkers. Took off right after I took this, pretty wary.

Specs! White Front or Specklebelly Geese showed up in my pasture today. They were with about 100 Canadas. First time ever seen Specs here. There were 3 of them. Also had 6 Snows a couple of weeks ago. The migratory birds are starting to move back north. We still have a ton of non migratory Honkers.

Last edited:

Brandonelisp

Nov 24, 2020
just wandering if they are going to hold the international teardrop gathering in miden, nebraksa at pioner village this year?

its the big one that is every other year.

or is this the off year and its time in july for pamplin grove and the international red wood gathering?

slow

Brandonelisp

Nov 24, 2020
Dec. Card file faith is the focus in The Happiness File by Pam Young and Peggy Jones.

What are your Dec. Cards and activities gatherings prep. And fun?