WGFD Proposed Changes

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Was there that many more deer and antelope or that many fewer hunters?
From my memories, I believe there were drastically lower numbers of hunters. I bought over the counter doe tags from the 1980s up until about 10 years ago. Opening day was about the only day you saw other hunters back then. I believe animal populations have fluctuated up and down with severity of winter differences. I can say the areas I hunt have more elk than I have ever seen and the deer and antelope numbers look good but maybe not quite as high as years in the past.

ssulliv155

Mar 8, 2015
Central WY
From my memories, I believe there were drastically lower numbers of hunters. I bought over the counter doe tags from the 1980s up until about 10 years ago. Opening day was about the only day you saw other hunters back then. I believe animal populations have fluctuated up and down with severity of winter differences. I can say the areas I hunt have more elk than I have ever seen and the deer and antelope numbers look good but maybe not quite as high as years in the past.
I agree the elk populations are growing considerably, which is awesome. But I do wish the deer and antelope could rebound.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Deer, Antelope and Moose numbers are in the toilet today compared to 35 years ago. Trophy quality too. I can remember shooting 5 whitetails in the Black Hills area back in the day, that was in addition to the Buck & doe Mulies in other areas. Antelope were as thick as hairs on a hound dog too. Those good old days are long, long gone.

Reactions: BuzzH