Westside Barbell

FitToHunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D95GhF5iMk8

I'm assuming some of you on here have heard of Westside barbell and Louie Simmons, but probably most have not. I'm not gonna say a lot about him or his training methods, other than "he is hands down the best strength coach on the planet, period"

I've attached a link to a little teaser video of his. But viewer beware his systems are pretty complex, and incredibly intense. But if your looking to take yourself to places you've never been before physically, start watching some of his podcasts.

This is not a "weight loss program, and this is not for begginners" you've been warned

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Been there, Done that. I'm from Ohio. I lifted with some of those guys. They would start warming up with my finishing weight (around 500lb bench press). That's because I competed drug-free.
However, the motivation and drive in the gym is what I liked and pushed me to new levels.
Lou has also donated his body to science for steroid research. I don't condone the 'supplements', but they are a good group of guys and great to train with. With some tweaking to my training, I won my first National Title.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
While those guys are incredibly strong they certainly do not look healthy, I would bet they have almost zero endurance. It would be interesting to see how they would do going up the side of a mountain in the snow at say 8000-9000' of elevation.
I'm sure some will disagree with me but who the heck wants to spend 6-8 hours a day in the gym lifting weights?

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I was going to cooment that I wouldn't mess with any of those guys except in the mountains! I'm confident I could Out climb them but definitely not out lift them! BC, I did not know that about you. Congratulations to that accomplishment.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I lift religiously 4-5 days a week for many years now....but I have Zero desire to look like that. I lift to make me more comfortable with 100lb loads in steep Wyoming mountains. I don't want to bulk up and be unable to hike haha. But those boys that do that are very impressive in that aspect, but steroids and looking unhealthy have never appealed to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
One would think these guys would have zero endurance. However, you build a lot of endurance through extreme heavy lifting. Most folks don't realize this fact. It's almost like an extreme burst of cardio. Not saying that a training endurance runner or mountain man won't outlast them, but it would be closer than you think. At least for the drug-free guys. I believe Lou even spoke about this years ago. I can personally attest to it as well.

While those guys are incredibly strong they certainly do not look healthy, I would bet they have almost zero endurance. It would be interesting to see how they would do going up the side of a mountain in the snow at say 8000-9000' of elevation.
I'm sure some will disagree with me but who the heck wants to spend 6-8 hours a day in the gym lifting weights?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I too have taken this approach. Stay healthy and more mountain ready. But sometime, I get the itch to throw a few more plates on the bar. lol

I lift religiously 4-5 days a week for many years now....but I have Zero desire to look like that. I lift to make me more comfortable with 100lb loads in steep Wyoming mountains. I don't want to bulk up and be unable to hike haha. But those boys that do that are very impressive in that aspect, but steroids and looking unhealthy have never appealed to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FitToHunt

Not sure if you guys only watched the trailer. But, even though they do specialize in training power lifters, those methods can apply to all athletes. That's really the point. Has nothing to do with being 300lbs, or a bodybuilder. Don't think for a second that it takes 6 hours a day, or that if you train that way you will look like them. It doesn't work like that.

I will agree, its not for everyone. But, many of their methods would directly improve the performance of the "hunter athlete" which many on here seem to be interested in.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I couldn't agree more. Additionally, these guys spend 2 hours in the gym. The other 22 hours dictates their success.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
LOL - I get what you are saying. I would always say that I wanted to be the fittest powerlifter on stage when I completed. :)

However, eating and sleeping play as big a part if not bigger when you think about it.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I couldn't agree more. Additionally, these guys spend 2 hours in the gym. The other 22 hours dictates their success.
Bingo! I've always told clients, it's not the 3-4 hours a week in the gym it's the other 164 or 5!!! You are what you eat..and sleep...and how you manage stress etc!